Question Computer Shutdowns Upon Entering Sleep/Hibernate Modes

lumonlor

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
Hello,

Recently within the past week or so, my computer started to shut off from both sleep mode/hibernate after a period of time. I am using latest Windows 10 build, updated graphics drivers.

To further elaborate, when I try to put the computer into sleep, the displays turn off but the system seems to be running still and then after a bit it shuts down.

Is there a reason this might be happening?

Things I've tried troubleshooting and had no success:

Removing oldest HDD and running with 2 SSD/newer performance HDD.

Adjusting power options between balanced and high performance modes (turn off hard disk setting has always been set to high value parameter or '0' for infinite).

Going into device manager and toggling the intel management engine interface option of 'allow windows to turn off to save power'

Running disk checks to check health of drives

I have also used WhoCrashed and Event Viewer, which show an event 41 Kernal-Power critical error, and WhoCrashed is showing a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE with ntoskyrnl.exe or ntkrnlmp.exe as probable causes listed.

My computer specs are:

Latest window build/Nvidia drivers

z390 taichi motherboard

9900K cpu

2080Ti

16GB Corsair ram

Storage still multiple terabytes of availability.

Kaspersky antivirus total security

Colif

Win 11 Master
  • Open Windows File Explorer
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  • Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  • Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  • Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  • Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  • Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
its likely a driver to blame for the sleep problem and the BSOD.
ntoskrnl is always blamed by Whocrashed. NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

lumonlor

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
  • Open Windows File Explorer
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  • Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  • Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  • Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  • Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  • Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
its likely a driver to blame for the sleep problem and the BSOD.
ntoskrnl is always blamed by Whocrashed. NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

Hi,

So I uploaded the dmp files https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ladiBo4PdyRgX9Av78i4TU1vDvYvG92W/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/hL4dgxof/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:041121-13281-01.dmp (Apr 11 2021 - 02:02:54)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9F)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 13 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 39 Sec(s)

File information:041121-10390-01.dmp (Apr 11 2021 - 11:31:23)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Unknown_Module_00000000`00000000
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: https://www.google.com/search?q=)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)

File information:041021-12921-01.dmp (Apr 10 2021 - 03:08:29)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: VALORANT-Win64-Shipping.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 56 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File information:040921-11062-01.dmp (Apr 9 2021 - 03:09:19)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 17 Hour(s), 28 Min(s), and 56 Sec(s)

File information:040821-9796-01.dmp (Apr 8 2021 - 01:32:23)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 15 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390 Taichi/index.asp
You are using BIOS version 1.4. The latest is version 4.3. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

lumonlor

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
Thanks for the assist. Since then I've tried using other Nvidia drivers like the latest studio instead of gaming drivers. I also tried placing the PC to sleep opening one program at a time to try to isolate the issue if it's a software problem. I'm not sure if it's a ram issue, but with all the lighter programs opened, i.e VLC, word, chrome with like 20 tabs, etc. The computer seemed to have went to sleep with no issue each time.

Opening Photoshop documents however, seemed to produce the sleep issue of it turning the monitor off, with the system still whirring, and then it shuts down. Then I tried going to sleep with just the Photoshop stuff opened, and it went to sleep fine as well. So I'm not sure if there's been any tangible result produced there.

So should I keep trying different NVIDIA drivers, and disabling the MSI program?

For context, the computer has worked fine with nvidia drivers and MSI program having been installed for a while.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS