Question Computer shutdowns while gaming or gpu benchmarking ?

Alex5996

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
My computer is shutting down while gaming or gpu benchmarking. The temperatude of cpu while gaming is normal (around 55-60 celsius) and the gpu is around 80-85 with some peaks at 90 on benchmarking. The pc is just violent shutting down and restarting without warnings, i see on the event visualizer of windows the KERNEL POWER critical error. My psu is brand new as the entire build (assembled two days ago), its an 850W 80 plus gold. What should i check? Faulty gpu or faulty psu? I have my ram set on XMP1 3600 (stock frequency), no overclocks or undervolting anywhere. Gpu linked with 2 pcie cables (no daisychain).

Build specs:
Ram: Kingston Fury Renegade 2x16gb 3600 CL16
CPU: Intel i5 13500
PSU: LCPOWER LC850M 850W
AIO: Deep Cool Castle 240EX ARGB
Fans: 2x on front 140mm, 1x back 120mm, 1x under gpu 120mm all NZXT (spinning regularly)
SSD: Sabrent Rocket plus 1tb
GPU: XFX MERC319 RX 6800XT 16GB

COLGeek

Cybernaut
These are the signs of a failing/inadequate/defective PSU. While you have a 850w PSU, it is not a quality unit (the "gold" rating is a matter of efficiency, not quality).

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)? Just verifying as your previous statement seemed to refer to your memory speeds and I assume you are running at the rated 3600, vice the standard 2133 settings. Is that correct?

Alex5996

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
These are the signs of a failing/inadequate/defective PSU. While you have a 850w PSU, it is not a quality unit (the "gold" rating is a matter of efficiency, not quality).

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)? Just verifying as your previous statement seemed to refer to your memory speeds and I assume you are running at the rated 3600, vice the standard 2133 settings. Is that correct?
I am using xmp profile 1 to run the rams at 3600mhz@cl16. Otherwise they would run only at 2400 that sucks .. I have ordered a Corsair RM850X, maybe i have more luck with him. About rams, how can I check if they are faulty? Disabling xmp and checking each one separately?

GPU and CPU stock values (no oc or uv)

Your symptoms are in the nature of a power issue.
Modern graphics cards can have temporary high power spikes that not all power supplies can handle.
Your psu has only a 3 year warranty which puts it into a cheap unit category.

You can thrash around with other fixes, but eventually, you are going to test the psu.
You can only do that by replacing with a known good quality psu of sufficient power.

I would try to return it as defective, and replace it with a better unit.

On ram,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Reactions: Alex5996

Alex5996

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
Your symptoms are in the nature of a power issue.
Modern graphics cards can have temporary high power spikes that not all power supplies can handle.
Your psu has only a 3 year warranty which puts it into a cheap unit category.

You can thrash around with other fixes, but eventually, you are going to test the psu.
You can only do that by replacing with a known good quality psu of sufficient power.

I would try to return it as defective, and replace it with a better unit.

On ram,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.
I am using memtest right now. Finished 2 passes atm with no errors. However, now I am thinking but I will check this as soon as memtest finish his 4 passes that I have not checked cpu, ssd and ram drivers. I have just let Armory Crates download all mobo drivers and Adrenalin for the gpu. Maybe should be the trick?

For stay safe i also swapped that psu to a Corsair RM850X.

I suspect that motherboard apps like armory crates are the cause of strange issues.
I would find and download the individual drivers myself.
On the distributed cd, do not pick the "install all" option or you may also install un needed monitors and other apps.

Alex5996

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
Small update: Rams are good, memtest found no errors. Also i tried with xmp off but the problem is still there. So Rams are not faulty and they are good. I checked the voltages and they seems good on all rails 3v, 5v, 12v. I have installed missing drivers from Intel ME. Yesterday i have played for a game almost 1hr with no problems, game runs smooth i also tried some undervolting/oc and it worked. I played Battlefield 2042 quality all max out with ray tracing turned on to give an high load on the gpu. Everything was good. But then, i started a stress with Superposition and the computer after 1min shutdown immediately. So something still working bad .. I checked the wattage of the gpu but they seems good, around 180/190 watt and temperature around 65/70 in junction and 55/57 into the core. I really going to lose my mind. Tomorrow the corsair Rm850x arrives and I will try that..

Alex5996

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
I suspect that motherboard apps like armory crates are the cause of strange issues.
I would find and download the individual drivers myself.
On the distributed cd, do not pick the "install all" option or you may also install un needed monitors and other apps.
Quick question, if I want uninstall completely all the Asus driver insalled by Armory Crates, should I reinstall windows completely or i can just install drivers from Asus website over the old ones?

Alex5996

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
UPDATE: Switched my PSU to a Corsair RM850X has fixed the problem. Maybe it was faulty, it was very well reviewed here in EU. Lot's of users are using it right now with no problem. I don't know, but hopefully, it's gone. Run a stress test for 1hr with Heaven benchmark and made fews benchmarks with Superposition with not shutdowns. Also i have played Bf2042 regularly at 160fps (no rt) ultra settings and 110fps with rt on, temperatures around 60 degrees celsius.

Also, i dont know if the psu was the culprit but i think yes, the terrible coil whine has gone.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
UPDATE: Switched my PSU to a Corsair RM850X has fixed the problem. Maybe it was faulty, it was very well reviewed here in EU. Lot's of users are using it right now with no problem. I don't know, but hopefully, it's gone. Run a stress test for 1hr with Heaven benchmark and made fews benchmarks with Superposition with not shutdowns. Also i have played Bf2042 regularly at 160fps (no rt) ultra settings and 110fps with rt on, temperatures around 60 degrees celsius.

Also, i dont know if the psu was the culprit but i think yes, the terrible coil whine has gone.

Can you link to a review? I'm quite concerned if someone is actually making positive reviews for an LCPower PSU. Unless you mean customer reviews on a commerce site which have no value for something like this; any halfway competent review of a PSU needs a teardown, a component analysis, and measurements from an oscilloscope and load tester, and 99.99% of consumers aren't going to be able to do that.