[SOLVED] Computer shuts down after a few minutes after RAM replacement

Oct 26, 2020
Hello,

I recently upgraded the RAM in my computer.

Around the same time, I began to experience some strange issues.
  • I usually need to restart my computer several times or clear the CMOS before it will post.
  • If my computer does post, it takes almost a minute. Usually freezes at the Windows startup screen (the black screen with the spinning wheel)
  • If I'm able to log into Windows, my computer shuts off after a few minutes. Usually, I hear a loud buzz, and then the screen goes black. Other times, the screen just goes black.
Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700x (Stock Speed) + Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz (Four Channel)
MotherBoard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 TI
PSU: Corsair CX 750M
SSD: SanDisk SSD PLUS 1TB Internal SSD

I do not know if this is correlated with the recent RAM replacement, but here is what I've tried:
  • Testing every RAM stick with memtest86 (No Errors Found)
  • Using a single stick of RAM (Computer crashes after a few minutes))
  • Using the RAM with all BIOS settings set to 'Auto' (Computer crashes after a few minutes)
  • Using the RAM with DOCP Standard Settings (Computer keeps restarting but won't post)
  • Using the RAM with DOCP Standard Settings + Increasing DRAM voltage (Computer crashes after a few minutes)
    • Tried every DRAM voltage from 1.35V- 1.43V. Computer seems the most stable at 1.4V.
  • Using the RAM with DOCP Standard Settings + Decreasing the RAM speed to 1600 Mhz (Computer crashes after a few minutes)
  • Using the RAM DOCP Standard Settings + Increasing SOC voltage (No effect)
    • Tried SOC Voltages: 0.9V, 1.0V, 1.1V
  • Disabling Fast Boot (No effect)
  • Reinstalling my BIOS (No effect)
  • Reinstalling my OS (No effect)
  • Clearing the CMOS (Computer crashes after a few minutes)
    • Removed the coin cell battery and shorted the appropriate leads for several minutes
  • Monitoring for Overheating
    • CPU hovers around 45-55 C, GPU hovers around 40-50C
At this point, I'm out of ideas. I'm thinking this is a motherboard or a power supply issue, but I do not know how to diagnose those issues.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could suggest potential fixes/diagnostic tests.

Solution
After replacing my GPU, the problem seems to have gone away. Perhaps my motherboard was posting but my GPU just wasn't drawing it on my screen.
Oct 26, 2020
Switched out the power supply and motherboard with no luck.

Finally, I switched out the ssd with an old hard drive. It's been about half a day with no freezing.

However, my pc still fails to post on startup most of the time. Any ideas?

Oct 26, 2020
After replacing my GPU, the problem seems to have gone away. Perhaps my motherboard was posting but my GPU just wasn't drawing it on my screen.

Solution
Nov 9, 2020
So it's shutting down after around the same amount of time, each time you try it? Always around 5 minutes? And even to that point, it's a slow and degraded experience? I've had this sort of issue before twice, and both times it was overheating. Check all four corners of your heatsinks for your CPU and GPU, especially if you've taken them off before, they should be on tight. Also make sure the fans are spinning.

EDIT: just read your follow up comments. Looks like it was your GPU. I'd say it likely was an overheating thing.