Windows 10 pro
Msi gaming motherboard about a year old
16 gigs of ram
EvGA 600 watt power supply
Force gtx 1050 GPU
500 gig Samsung ssd
And 3 tb sata HD.

Problem:
My power supply went bad late last year. I just got around to replacing it. Everything ran fine for an hour or two then the computer shut off after opening Vegas pro 17.
I checked the heat sink and cleaned and placed new paste thinking it was a heat issue. That didnt work. The computer can boot into bios. But anything past that it shuts off, I've tried booting from CD, from USB and from a different hard drive. I have taken off the GPU and all other components to boot with the bare minimums and nothing. I am truly baffled. I have a hard time believing it is the power supply and find it very odd it did it literally the second I opened that program.
Any insight would be appreciated. I do not have tools to check voltage or anything like that. I'm hoping I'm overlooking something and someone who has experienced this will chime in.

Thanks

starvinmarvin

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
Possibilities:
  1. A cable from the power supply (PSU) to the motherboard (m/b) is not correctly plugged in. Remove the power cord, open the case, and disconnect every single cable. Next, double-check that each cable is exactly the right one for its connection to the m/b. Reconnect each one carefully and make sure it's firmly plugged in. Test again with one stick of RAM.
  2. The old PSU sent a voltage spike to the RAM when it died. Try a completely different stick of RAM and test with that.
  3. The old PSU damaged something on the motherboard when it died. If true, you'll need to replace the motherboard. Arghh!

Apr 8, 2020
Possibilities:
  1. A cable from the power supply (PSU) to the motherboard (m/b) is not correctly plugged in. Remove the power cord, open the case, and disconnect every single cable. Next, double-check that each cable is exactly the right one for its connection to the m/b. Reconnect each one carefully and make sure it's firmly plugged in. Test again with one stick of RAM.
  2. The old PSU sent a voltage spike to the RAM when it died. Try a completely different stick of RAM and test with that.
  3. The old PSU damaged something on the motherboard when it died. If true, you'll need to replace the motherboard. Arghh!
So before I read this that was the last thing I tried. I removed all but 1 stick of ram. It powered on and I was able to login to windows. But I think it may have been because I let something cool down for an hour. I added the gpu back, and the other stick of ram and booted back in. Ran long enough for me to install a cpu temp monitor. Temps are idle at 37c-40c. CPU is an i5 8400? I think. I dont think that temp is bad? Anyways, it shut back off after a few minutes and not does it again each time. If I let it sit for a bit it will turn on. I'm baffled unless the PSU is overheating causing it to shut off? I did notice I placed the psu with the fan down on the bottom of the case (I hadn't secured anything yet just in case I needed to move things). It was on for around 2 hours. Could that short time have caused the psu to defect already on keep overhearing now? Thanks

I did notice I placed the psu with the fan down on the bottom of the case (I hadn't secured anything yet just in case I needed to move things). Does this mean you have positioned the PSU so air does not flow through it unobstructed ? If that's the case, it isn't a bad PSU, it simply is not being allowed to cool itself.

starvinmarvin

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
I did notice I placed the psu with the fan down on the bottom of the case (I hadn't secured anything yet just in case I needed to move things). It was on for around 2 hours. Could that short time have caused the psu to defect already on keep overhearing now? Thanks

Which make and model of case do you have?
How many front (intake) fans does the case have?
How many rear or top (exhaust) fans does the case have?
Does the case have feet that raise it up so that air can get underneath?
Does the case have a mesh dust filter on the bottom/underside of the case? If so, the power supply fan should face towards the dust filter so it can suck in fresh air.