[SOLVED] Computer shuts down and reboots at random

spacehusky

Commendable
Jun 24, 2020
I've seen a few threads already covering this but felt it would be better to confirm based on my own specs.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k 4c 4GHz
MoBo: Asus z170
GPU: MSI GTX 1080
Mem: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengence
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850w 80+ Platinum
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
SSD: x4 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB (RAID10)
HDD: WD Black 6TB

I've had this system for around 4 years, it's been a gaming and work rig with the initial plan being to scale it up for better performance in 3D (hence the over powered PSU). Started this Monday when I decided to try Battlefront 2 for the first time in months and after about an hour my PC just shut down and rebooted. I tried playing again but it happened even sooner. It happened again yesterday after about 30 mins of gaming and today twice for the first time NOT gaming. I was using After Effects before hand but it had been closed for about 20 mins by the time is shutdown. Once it booted back up it shutdown a couple minutes after logging back in.

I've stripped it and dusted the entire system, including the PSU and it's interior, but after playing Outer Worlds for about 1-2hours, it just shut off. GPU and CPU temps seemed fine at around 55-60C when it happened. My first thought was a PSU issue but I want to get an expert opinion. I've done PSU tests in OCCT and both shut my PC down straight away. I then tried a GPU OCCT test and that also shut my PC down but after about 1-2 seconds in.

Here's the Event Viewer log:

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>6</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-06-24T21:54:25.535080300Z" />
<EventRecordID>31360</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>GS2789</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Any help on this would be superb! I don't have any spare PSUs or GPUs at hand to swap test everything but I would very much like to avoid spending money where it's not needed.

EDIT: Had my PC on this morning, doing admin work for a couple of hours so nothing heavy and it shut down again. This time, though, once it rebooted, it shut down again just after getting to the login screen, then the second time it shut down almost immediately after powering back on. Would this be a clue to anything?

EDIT EDIT: So, I initially installed my GPU into the second PCIe slot (x8) because the x16 slot had my card touching one of the mobo heatsinks and is also millimetres away from the CPU cooler heatsink giving idle temps of around 45-55C. I just decided to move my GPU to the x16 slot and suddenly I'm able to do the GPU OCCT test without a problem. Before there was a loud whine before turning off but now there was nothing but fans and 0 errors. I let it run for 2-3 mins as I want to go to bed but this could be a sign that my 2and PCIe slot has gone bust. I'll try the GPU test again tomorrow and if that goes well, I'll move onto another PSU one and update this with the results.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Just did another set of tests this morning. CPU one was fine, RAM one was fine, GPU test shut down after 1-2 seconds, then straight away the second time. PSU test also just shut down instantly. It appears changing PCIe slots didn't help. So the culprit is either the GPU, MoBo or PSU. Temps also seemed fine on both GPU and CPU. It's quite hot so I'm going to try again later this evening when it has cooled down a bit and see if that has any effect. It would suck if I had to buy another gpu with AMD and Nvidia announcements just around the corner.

FINAL EDIT: After more testing, I decided to lower the clock speed of my GPU by 200-250MHz as it was running +100MHz over its initial boost clock speed and I wanted it to get back down to its default 1600-1700MHz. Since doing that, I've been able to game without a crash, but that's not to say it won't happen sometime in the future. So, I've ordered a new PSU (Seasonic) to test the waters and see if my EVGA PSU is the problem.

Last edited:
Solution
So my Seasonic PSU arrive and I was able to do the OCCT power test for the first time. Did it a second time an hour into being on and also succeeded so I guess it was a faulty power supply after all.

I'm guessing it just couldn't hack the power draw from the GPU anymore and was only able to cope with a lower clock speed (it did crash once even then).
I've seen a few threads already covering this but felt it would be better to confirm based on my own specs.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k 4c 4GHz
MoBo: Asus z170
GPU: MSI GTX 1080
Mem: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengence
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850w 80+ Platinum
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

I've had this system for around 4 years, it's been a gaming and work rig with the initial plan being to scale it up for better performance in 3D (hence the over powered PSU). Started this Monday when I decided to try Battlefront 2 for the first time in months and after about an hour my PC just shut down and rebooted. I tried playing again but it happened even sooner. It happened again yesterday after about 30 mins of gaming and today twice for the first time NOT gaming. I was using After Effects before hand but it had been closed for about 20 mins by the time is shutdown. Once it booted back up it shutdown a couple minutes after logging back in.

I've stripped it and dusted the entire system, including the PSU and it's interior, but after playing Outer Worlds for about 1-2hours, it just shut off. GPU and CPU temps seemed fine at around 55-60C when it happened. My first thought was a PSU issue but I want to get an expert opinion. I've done PSU tests in OCCT and both shut my PC down straight away. I then tried a GPU OCCT test and that also shut my PC down but after about 1-2 seconds in.

Here's the Event Viewer log:

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>6</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-06-24T21:54:25.535080300Z" />
<EventRecordID>31360</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>GS2789</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Any help on this would be superb! I don't have any spare PSUs or GPUs at hand to swap test everything but I would very much like to avoid spending money where it's not needed.
Run cmd as admin and type sfc /scannow

Jun 20, 2020
Once you’ve checked your ram for any errors, and it all passes, move on to BIOS and set your CPU clocks/voltages to stock (NOT AUTO). Check to see if the crashes continue. If they do, shut off your computer and reset CMOS. Check again. It honestly sounds like the PSU but you’d be surprised how many times the same symptoms appear because of non psu issues and reappear even with a new PSU because of inadequate troubleshooting.

spacehusky

Commendable
Jun 24, 2020
Once you’ve checked your ram for any errors, and it all passes, move on to BIOS and set your CPU clocks/voltages to stock (NOT AUTO). Check to see if the crashes continue. If they do, shut off your computer and reset CMOS. Check again. It honestly sounds like the PSU but you’d be surprised how many times the same symptoms appear because of non psu issues and reappear even with a new PSU because of inadequate troubleshooting.
No RAM issues and have just disabled turbo mode so cores are now running at a constant 4000MHz instead of 4200MHz. As for clock voltages, the only other options aside from auto were Manual and Adaptive. I'm assuming I should just set to manual and leave as is?

spacehusky

Commendable
Jun 24, 2020
Updated the original post with a couple results.

spacehusky

Commendable
Jun 24, 2020
So my Seasonic PSU arrive and I was able to do the OCCT power test for the first time. Did it a second time an hour into being on and also succeeded so I guess it was a faulty power supply after all.

I'm guessing it just couldn't hack the power draw from the GPU anymore and was only able to cope with a lower clock speed (it did crash once even then).

Solution