Computer shuts down during gaming

papery

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
My computer keeps shutting down during gaming. In runs fine idling and I can do basic stuff on it, but when I run games it will shut down.

I have the issue narrowed down to either my CPU or PSU but I can't tell which one it is.

AMD FX 6300

papery

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

PSU or CPU seem like the likely culprits. Just haven't narrowed it down to which one yet.

What are your temps? It sounds like you are thermal throttling. When the CPU gets too hot, it shuts itself down to prevent damage. So when you are idling and doing basic stuff, the CPU does not have to work hard and the temps are low. But when you game, the CPU works much harder and gets hot, so it is shutting itself down.

Download hwmonitor and run a gam in window and watch your CPU package temps from hwmonitor. If they are getting in the 80s or higher shut it down. There is something wrong with your cooling.

Did you replace the CPU cooler recently?

papery

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

I cleaned the heat sink recently, I've been meaning to apply new thermal compound because I haven't done it for a while. I already have HWmonitor and idling it gets to 35C.

So you removed the heatsink and did not apply thermal paste? If this is true then there is a high probability this is your issue.

papery

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

It was doing it before I removed the heat sink, the reason why I cleaned it was because it was shutting down.

What we need to know is what are the temps when your game crashes. If your temps are 35C at idle, then there is no way it is 30-35C under load unless you have a magic chip.

Idle temps are largely impacted by ambient temps. 35C is high if the room is 20C. If the room is 30C, then it is fine.

What is your overclock?

papery

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

I don't overclock. I'll give you all the information you need after I get off work.

papery

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

Checked my event viewer and got a Kernel-Power 41.