Computer shuts down instantly

Cepheous

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
i just installed my radeon HD 4670 AGP and my computer will run for a bit then just shut down instantly.... not even putting much strain on the computer.... it shuts down and looks like theres no power going to it until i switch off the PSU and then switch it back on, then i get power running through it again... could this be my PSU is insufficient with my current setup? i can run on my older graphics card just fine...

Solution
This is the toughest problem to fix because the problem is not very specific. your circuit breaker activated due to the fact that there is a faulty hardware with electrical current surge.
This happens when the hardware is old or faulty manufacture.
i can be from dvdrom, hdd, videocard, ram, pci card, etc.
since you just purchase the new video card, it could likely be the problem.
550w should be more than enough to power 2 of your computers w/o any problem, so you can disqualify that, but you cannot disqualify the fact that your psu might be defective too.

exact same thing happened to me once when i build my new rig a while back. i switch PSU, videocard, and even ram, but it was the Mother board's ram slot that was defect. took me...

jsh1284

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I am thinking your PSU is not powerful enough to run the card, so it's shutting off to protect your components. You should probably look into upgrading that. Remember .. the PSU might actually be the most important part in your whole system .. so it's best to buy a good one with enough power for today AND for upgrades in the future! =) .. so if you can, hit up newegg.com and see if you can't find something a bit more powerful.

Flipping the back switch to get it working could mean the overcurrent protection had to kick in. I had this happen with a defective 4850. However in my case, it would not even get to post before shutting off. Could you post full system specs, that will help us quite a bit.

Cepheous

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I'm running Windows xp pro sp3 550watt PSU 3.0ghz P4 with hyperthreading 4 gigs of memory only reading 3.25 useable plugged in i have 1 IDE hard drive 1 sata 250 gig a number of fans 1 dvd rom drive 1 cd rom drive the Radeon HD 4670 Abit IC7 Mobo and wirless N card is the 550 enough? it is pretty old... and used to make a lot of noise... then one day stopped making the noise and worked fine... could i have a faulty Graphics card?

What motherboard do you have? Some have a place to plug in an extra 4 pin molex which gives more power to the agp slot.

What does your psu say you have for amps on the 12v rail/s? Some older/cheap psu's have nice wattage specs for marketing, but not the 12v amps where it is needed.

Cepheous

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

the 12v amps are 35 and im using an abit ic7 mootherboard is does have that 4 pin molex and that is plugged in

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
This is the toughest problem to fix because the problem is not very specific. your circuit breaker activated due to the fact that there is a faulty hardware with electrical current surge.
This happens when the hardware is old or faulty manufacture.
i can be from dvdrom, hdd, videocard, ram, pci card, etc.
since you just purchase the new video card, it could likely be the problem.
550w should be more than enough to power 2 of your computers w/o any problem, so you can disqualify that, but you cannot disqualify the fact that your psu might be defective too.

exact same thing happened to me once when i build my new rig a while back. i switch PSU, videocard, and even ram, but it was the Mother board's ram slot that was defect. took me a loooong time to find out.

best think you can do is get another computer with similar spec that is compatible with each other and switch it one piece at a time.

good luck

Solution

Cepheous

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Ok I have progression.... it seems as though my system will run fine while operating the new graphics card (HD 4670 AGP) but when i install the driver my system becomes unstable... while under normal operations like using the internet it just shuts off without powering down or anything motherboard still has power to it will only turn on after switching off PSU then switching back on someone help please =( I am using windows XP with SP 3 would the framework have anything to do with it?