Computer Shuts Down on its own(not overheating)

Aug 20, 2018
so im having this issue where it shuts downs (not restarting) no overheat, usually like before the computer boots up to OS, and after like5min,20min and even 10-15hours. I honestly have no clue whats causing the problem, my psu is not that old and my temperatures are all good CPU is arround (around 40-60 degrees) and GPU at 30-40 degrees..Also noticed that when it shuts down, my headphone and mouse is blinking randomly and stops randomly.
specs
8gbram
gtx 970 gigabyte (max temp around 60-65)
intel i5 2500 (old but good enough for me)
PSU 700watt modular SuperFlower(modular)
motherboar : H61m-s2vb3 1155 which i suspect is the problem.
case Segotep gaming case

if anyone can help me, THANKS in advance.

Solution
When turning the TV on causes your PC to shut down then the issue is within electrical grid. To put it simply, there's not enough power to go around to power all the electronics at once. Also, on startup, high power consumption devices do consume more power than when they are running.

This is especially true with printers, scanners and the like. And that high initial power draw is also a reason why those devices aren't allowed to be plugged into UPS. Since at startup, they can fry the UPS.

For another example, maybe you've seen that while turning on e.g 2000W device (fridge, heater, water kettle) the lights get dimmed for a split second (aka brownout). <- that split second (e.g 500 milliseconds) is all it takes for PSU to shut down...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What model or part number your Super Flower 700W unit has?
Also, why you have 700W unit in there where 500W unit would be more than enough?

Are you sure it's your MoBo that shuts your PC down or is perhaps your electrical grid culprit? E.g if there's power loss in your home, even for 0.5 seconds, your PC will shut down. Since PSU can keep your PC going for 17ms or so and not much more. For comparison, 1 second = 1000ms; 0.5 seconds = 500ms.
To fix that, you'll need UPS to keep your PC going during blackouts.

Aug 20, 2018

hmm not really sure about the model# of my psu, though its from japan and i think its starting at px14 or something just too lazy to reverse my psu inside my case just to see the model but i searched it previously on google and i cant find it. Maybe your right about grid circuit but what im curious is that my computer shuts off and my brothers pc is still running? btw its plug on a AVR and also tried plugging the PC directly to socket and still the problem persist randomly :pt1cable:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
There are in total of 7x 700W units from Super Flower, which one you have?
SF-700A14A
SF-700K14A
SF-700R14A
SF-700R14HE
SF-700R14SE
SF-700P14PE
SF-700P14XE

Either the issue is within PSU or electrical grid. Since i don't know which model PSU you have, i can't say how likely it is PSU's issue.

Also, knowing the PSU make and model (or part number) in brother's PC would also help to figure out if the issue is within your PSU or main electrical grid.
For example:
If the PSU in brother's PC would be SSR-650TD (Seasonic PRIME 650 80+ Titanium) then that PSU has hold-up time of 30ms. If your PSU's hold-up time is 17ms (as specified by ATX PSU standard) and when your electrical grid experiences blackouts lasting e.g 20ms to 25ms, your PC will shut down while your brother's PC will keep going.

Aug 20, 2018
search around my inbox and here it is,SUPER FLOWER SF-700P14X3. not listed there but i think its cool, i mean its running gtx 970 with 1x8pin and 1x6pin for 10 hours straight while on maxload at high end games without any problems(except that random shutdown).

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What you most likely have is SF-700P14XE which is Golden Green Modular series with 80+ Gold efficiency. Confusion is due to the typo on the label, where "E" is replaced with "3".

Random reboots or shutdowns are mostly caused by 2 issues:
1. CPU/GPU overheats and to prevent any damage, system shuts down.
2. PSU fails to deliver enough power to the GPU or fails to keep smooth enough voltage for PC's operation.

First check your CPU/GPU temps, both at idle and under load. If temps are within reason then it's safe to assume that it's the PSU who is acting up.

Also, review of your Super Flower unit was first published in 2010, making your PSU at least 8 years old, while it came only with 3 years of warranty. Here, i'd say that it's your PSU who, for some reason, can't keep your PC going. Either that, or your electrical grid is acting up.

To test if it's your PSU, replace it with new, good quality PSU, e.g Seasonic Focus+ 550,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bkp323/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fx

Aug 20, 2018
Right, I might need to change it or maybe i should just buy new ups, do you think its gonna fix it? I just had the feeling that its electrical grid problem cause every time they turn the tv on, there is always a chance that it shuts down.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
When turning the TV on causes your PC to shut down then the issue is within electrical grid. To put it simply, there's not enough power to go around to power all the electronics at once. Also, on startup, high power consumption devices do consume more power than when they are running.

This is especially true with printers, scanners and the like. And that high initial power draw is also a reason why those devices aren't allowed to be plugged into UPS. Since at startup, they can fry the UPS.

For another example, maybe you've seen that while turning on e.g 2000W device (fridge, heater, water kettle) the lights get dimmed for a split second (aka brownout). <- that split second (e.g 500 milliseconds) is all it takes for PSU to shut down, shutting the PC down as well.

But yes, UPS will eliminate all problems that are caused by the electrical grid. Those include: blackouts (power loss), brownouts (voltage drop) and surges (voltage increase). UPS also has AVR in it (Automatic Voltage Regulator) which stabilizes the income voltage from e.g 215V-225V to stable 220V for your PC to consume.

In my honest opinion, all PCs should have an UPS and i suggest you also get one for your PC.

Solution

Latest posts