Computer shuts down randomly and restarts on its own.

artstylein

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
Computer shuts down randomly and restarts on its own. This happens when i am running a game or not doing anything at all.

I ran a GPU stress test using Furmark . I checked the temperatures and everything seems fine .
I even reinstalled my OS suspecting the Windows 10 updates .

I was suspecting the PSU but i just happened to try this out . I disconnected my graphics card and plugged my display on to Integrated Intel graphics and there has been no restart ever since then .

Can you please help me figure out if this is my graphics card issue ?
Is my graphics card blown out or is it just a Driver problem.

below is my build

Processor : Intel i5 6500
MotherBoard : Gigabyte H110M-DS2
Graphics : Nvidia GTX 750Ti
Ram : Corsair 8 Gb
PSU : Corsair VS 650

I checked the event logs as well and i only find Kernel power failure.

Begin with re-installing the drivers for your GPU. If possible, use your GPU in someone else's computer to see if it works fine in that. If the GPU works fine in a different build, but starts behaving weirdly in your computer again, it might be a PSU issue. If the GPU works weirdly in the other system as well, the GPU is probably dying.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
random reboots are usually the result of a bad PSU, RAM, and software. In that order.
the corsair vs is a lower end unit.
removing the load of the GPU stabilized the system? hmmm.
download and use rufus to install a linux ISO to a USB drive. you can boot to a clean environment on the USB drive
replace the card and boot to linux, wait for reboot. it will not change your hard drive unless you explicitly tell it to. you can connect to the net, watch some youtube, you know wait for reboot. if linux reboots on you you can be certain it is a hardware issue.

artstylein

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016

Actually i have been using the same graphics card with PSU for a long time .. if my PSU wasnt supporting it then i would have started facing issues back then right ? Still i will give it a try

artstylein

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016

Sure i will try this with a friend's system and let you know the result

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

not saying it does not support it, maybe it was damaged by a surge IDK, hence the testing