Computer shuts down unexpectedly under various conditions

Tristan Harmsen

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Hello, I have been experiencing an issue with my home-built desktop where my computer shuts down unexpectedly when
a) It goes to sleep and shuts down on its own
b) I try to wake it up from sleep mode and can't wake it up so I try pressing the power button which just restarts it
c) I turn it on, it turns off before getting to the login screen

This is a big problem when doing long downloads.
One thing to note is that I only noticed this after I started trying to overclock my cpu.
Also I don't have much free space in the SSD on which my OS is installed, something like 7 GB I think.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 G1 Gaming
CPU: Intel i7 4790k

When I tried to do a BIOS update in the Gigabyte App Centre there didn't appear to be any new update for my particular motherboard.

Solution
change power settings to high performance, set monitor/pc to never turn off. and in advanced power options, set hdd to never turn off

update motherboard drivers from Gigabyte site and then run driver booster to see if you missed anything.

what are rest of the specs of pc?

remove overclock as it could be power supply hasn't got enough to keep it alive.

7gb? that poor ssd, you need a bigger one. it won't be running as fast as it used to.

Colif

Win 11 Master
change power settings to high performance, set monitor/pc to never turn off. and in advanced power options, set hdd to never turn off

update motherboard drivers from Gigabyte site and then run driver booster to see if you missed anything.

what are rest of the specs of pc?

remove overclock as it could be power supply hasn't got enough to keep it alive.

7gb? that poor ssd, you need a bigger one. it won't be running as fast as it used to.

Solution

Tristan Harmsen

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply! It was doing that regardless of the overclock. However the issue seems to be solved, I just updated the bios and everything seems no be working ok. Fingers crossed!
And yeah, I sort of cheaped out and only bought a 100GB SSD.
Thanks again and have a great weekend!