[SOLVED] Computer Shuts Down When Playing Games

Apr 6, 2020
Hey.
Iv'e recently upgraded my gpu.
When i play a game for a few minutes my computer shuts down, and i don't know why.
Temps before shutdown:
cpu - 65c
gpu - 68c

PSU - aerocool project 7 750w
GPU - Strix vega 64 oc
CPU - Ryzen 5 3500x
RAM - 16gb ballistix 3200mhz
MOBO - steel legend B450

I like my gpu/cpu to stay cool even if the fans are loud.
And the computer seem to shut off when the fans start giving it some.
So my only guess would be that im asking too much of my psu, but i would have thought a 750 shouldn't have any problems.

psu is 62 on the 12v rail
I have 4 case fans.
and the gpu uses 3.

any ideas?

thanks

Solution
At this point, I'd have to lean towards the PSU being the issue. The Vega 64 is a power hog (by my standards, anyway). Asus recommends a 750W (!) for a system using that card, so you are right at the margin even if you don't OC anything. And if the above article is correct, that PSU doesn't do max load well. So that would be the most logical conclusion (barring any defective components as the culprit).
Apr 6, 2020
Might just be a bad PSU from the factory. That PSU seems to be a satisfactory unit as per Johnny Guru. Yes, size wise the PSU is adequate. Although... JG does mention an issue with using it at full power (which could be the case with the Vega 64).

Just remembered that my psu fan, has never span. I thought it was odd when i first got it (not long ago) looked it up, and apparently they spin at a certain temp. But thinking about it, i have never seen it spin.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
At this point, I'd have to lean towards the PSU being the issue. The Vega 64 is a power hog (by my standards, anyway). Asus recommends a 750W (!) for a system using that card, so you are right at the margin even if you don't OC anything. And if the above article is correct, that PSU doesn't do max load well. So that would be the most logical conclusion (barring any defective components as the culprit).

Solution