Computer Shuts Down While Installing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolanddes

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
I have a problem with my laptop. When I try to install windows xp, my laptop just shuts down just after copying of files from windows cd to harddrive completes and the screen of "do you want to install a new copy of windows or repair this old one" comes. I tried so many things like taking off one of the rams or checking the harddisk or controlling the heat. Hope you can show me around this problem.

Regards

sturm

Splendid
Are you running on battery or external power supply when doing this?
I would run on power supply to make sure everything is running at full speed and so the battery doesn't run out half-way through.

rolanddes

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
I am running on external power supply. Actually I have tried all the options regarding power: with external power supply, battery or both of them..

mcarde

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I am having the same problem but with a desk top. I am trying to install Windows XP SP3 (clean install) but each time it gets to the Windows install screen the PC powers down. I have an Antec Trio 650W Power Supply and an EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW with 4 GB of memory WD Raptor 150GB Hard Drive, a Samsung DVD ROM Drive and a EVGA 9800 GTX video card. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

bansal_era

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
HI,
I m facing the same problem and that too in all OS. So, please if you find any solution to this problem than let me know about it. It will be of great help to me. Thanxxx. My i.d. is bansal_era@yahoo.co.in

dacdaddy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I just built an i7 w intel DX58SO MB, 150GB WD raptor and Corsair 600w psu, Quadro NVS 290, XP installed correctly, but my shutting-down/restarting issue happens when I am installing various programs, like Mozilla, Google Earth, CQG charting services, etc.

Any Ideas???

GENNI

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I have the same problem but even before finishing loading the drives my laptop shuts down. My laptop came with vista home premium preinstalled. Ive been searching on the internet and found out that others had troubles installing winxp. But its different becuase they got the error of " not recognizing the hard disk" because you cant install winxp on a SATA hard disk. You have to change it in the BIOS settings to IDE. I also saw installing with drivers in a floppy disk, the option of F6. Another one I did is preinstalling the drivers in the Windows Xp image with nLite. I tried but still it shuts down. Now Ive also read that it might be overheated and it worked for others. But the curious part is that even with my windows vista backup disk which I had used before it still shuts down! Now what is the problem? can someone tell me?

Slvador Limonis

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
i found in another post that removing the battery solves this problem, i am trying it right now since i have the same problem, i will post this when i know whether it works or not

in the other post, two people claimed it worked for them, inshallah it will work for me as well

didn't work :( other claim it is overheating the system, i will try something about that now

Slvador Limonis

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Found the solution, it IS overheating. i put my laptop on top of a fan, and it is working like a clock.

i still didn't reput the battery, but doubt that affects it.

again, as a summary, i am installing windows xp on a laptop, AMD. eep turning off after minute or less in the installation, so from reading the forums, apparenlty it is an overheating problem, put my laptop on fans and run it. much much better.

G

I had the same problem with my laptop.

Specs:
Targa (those computers from Lidl)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1GB Ram (blank brand)
120 Seagate disc 7200 rpm
ATI radeon Mobility 9700 128mb

My Laptop was probably overeating, these were the steps I followed.

1.) Leave the PC rest for about 1 hour
2.) Unplug the battery, run only on external power supply
3.) Without opening it, I used a Compressed air can to clean the air filters.
4.) Placed it in a cold environment (I put it directly in stone floor, and placed a normal fan next to it)
5.) Turn off the auto-shut off overheat system in BIOS (Phoenix Bios, should be easy to find out)
6.) Inserted the WinXP CD in and pray for the best...

It worked, so I hope this tips help you.

NOTE: If you not sure if your PC is overheating, download a temp scanner, like SpeedFan. Might help you troubleshoot.

G

I have the same problem but with a desktop. pretty much same specs as previous. Temp monitor in bios says its like 100C and it shuts off at 125. I put it by an open window (its like -20C outside) and its working, but i cant exactly leave it by an open window all the time. Is it possible that the sensor is wrong? the CPU heat sink doesn't feel all that hot. I even replaced the thermal paste, which helped a bit, but not much. Any suggestions?

G

I am also facing same problem that my laptop was getting heated up while installing Xp and shut down b4 whole installation complected before 38 mins.... upon rreading Ur comment, I have kept my laptop near my window n outside temperature is minus 6 degree.,, also removed my battery.lets C wat happens..hopp laptop gets chilled...

Hop it works....

Now the time comes wer it was crashing down......38 mins to go

going good........37 mins to go

still working fine ....Gr8,,,,34 mins to go....

24 mins to complete ....i hop it realy got chilled....19 mins going gr8,,,17 mins,,haaa started snowing,,,need to get in,,,,13 mins....8 mins,,,,,,good one guys,,,,,its all urs efforts... thanks a lot,,,

5 mins 2 go,,,,,4 mins,,,,3 mins,,,1 mins,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

hurrayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

thank you my dear friends,,,, it worked,,,,,

Thanks from bottom of heart,,

take care,,, its very true,, problem with heating,,,,,,,,concluded

I had the same problem with my laptop.

Specs:
Targa (those computers from Lidl)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1GB Ram (blank brand)
120 Seagate disc 7200 rpm
ATI radeon Mobility 9700 128mb

My Laptop was probably overeating, these were the steps I followed.

1.) Leave the PC rest for about 1 hour
2.) Unplug the battery, run only on external power supply
3.) Without opening it, I used a Compressed air can to clean the air filters.
4.) Placed it in a cold environment (I put it directly in stone floor, and placed a normal fan next to it)
5.) Turn off the auto-shut off overheat system in BIOS (Phoenix Bios, should be easy to find out)
6.) Inserted the WinXP CD in and pray for the best...

It worked, so I hope this tips help you.

NOTE: If you not sure if your PC is overheating, download a temp scanner, like SpeedFan. Might help you troubleshoot.

G

I had the same problem with acer portable computer, just put that machine motherboard on vertical position and guess what, I finaly had my windows black xp inside that mfucker. Thanx for the tip. This advice was realy usefull.

Space

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Hey guys. Sorry for my english (I'm from Hungary) but I'm having the same problem as in the topic and can't get a solution for days now.
The problem is with a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO M7440 notebook (about 5 years old). Not mine, never would have bought a laptop like this, but I it was given to me to have XP Pro reinstalled on it.
The first problem occured during the installation after the files have been copied and the "install / repair windows" screen should have come (like in the first post). But it didn't... instead there was a text about a failure that said "there is no harddrive..." or something like that. It was on screen only for a half of a second than the laptop turned off.

Couple of forum visits and I've got an answer for this. The problem was with its HDD, coz it is a SATA drive and XP won't recognize it during the install (because it don't includes the drivers for it). I managed to solve this - at least I think I did. I used nLite to create my own installation disk with the needed drivers. Now when it comes to the same point in the process, it usually shows that normal screen where I can choose how to install (quick format, full format, leave as it is), but it's that half of a second again and the computer is turning off. No matter what I do it is the same result every time.

Now I tried to format FAT32 and NTFS. Install with power cable only, battery only and both. Disable/Enable AHCI in the BIOS, because of the SATA drive (nothing else to set here). Cool it down with a fan because of the overheating, but imho it's not the cause of the problem, since it only turning off at the same exact point.
The weird thing is that there was an XP Pro installed on it a couple of years ago. Don't know who did it and how, but it is possible I just don't know how. So the laptop should work. I was so desperate I even get the HDD from the laptop, put it in my desktop PC, installed the XP on it and tried to put it back into the laptop. I knew it won't work but I don't know what else to do with it.
I read that it is possible to get an USB stick and make it bootable so the XP would install from that, but these programs won't recognize my pendrives (a kingston 2GB and a noname 4GB) so I can't do this either. Or maybe the problem is with me...

Anyhow I hope someone can provide me a solution for this. I'd be happy coz I don't find a thing that would work for me.

Thanks a lot. Peace!

maraltabrizi

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I had the same problem of my laptop turning off during windows installation,

the solution is simple, put it on a box of ice... and it works like a clock.

G

Hey, im having a problem with my laptop aswell, everytime that I try to install windows xp (with the windows CD still inside the computer) it restarts at the windows XP loading screen, when I load it without out, it starts up to the installation screen, but as soon as I put the CD back in, the computer spontaneously shuts down.. any ideas? Ive even tested it, waited 2 minutes to see if something would happen, nothing until i put the CD in

iholbrookv2

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

If your computer is shutting down during an install it is because your getting a BSOD error. You need to remove the battery on the motherboard and hold power button for 5seconds to reset BIOS to default. Then replace battery back in and boot up computer before it boots all the way up click on which ever button gets you into your BIOS once in there insert your Windows disc and make sure your boot is set for CD/DVD first and then your HDD. Now save settings in BIOS and exit then start your install! Good Luck everyone, I had this problem back years ago lol...

If you cannot get to the motherboard battery cause it is a laptop top then skip that step and just go straight to the BIOS when you first turn on your laptop it should say which key to press to enter setup and try to find where it says to make everything default and then after setting everything to default you need to change your boot options and insert your Windows disc and then SAVE your SETTINGS IN YOUR BIOS and EXIT. THEN START THE INSTALL AND TAH-DAH! Your all done!

seventhdust

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
thank you all guys for the advice, i had the same problem with my viao mini laptop and was on the verge of frustration and giving up until i encountered this thread. It truly was a heating problem, all along i was thinking that it was a problem with the hdd... i did all the step by step advice of one of the forumers regarding heating problems, i removed the battery, looked for the coolest place in the house, had to put two books under the laptop to provide a space in between for the air to pass beneath, placed a fan in front of the laptop while installing, prayed so hard and problems solved!

THANK YOU!

robharvey

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I need to know why my system will not let me upgrade to XP, when it is the operating system that came factory installed on my HP DV5240ca. Out of the blue my laptop decided to install an upgrade for Roxio media manager (blackberry app). I would not take no for an answer and no matter how many times I closed it or shut it down in task manager it would not stop. Actually using 100% of my processor!!! I could not do anything! I tried system restore, but all restore points I tried ran to only end up telling me that the restore was unsuccessful. I tried to use the recovery partition to restore factory defaults, the process started, but the laptop shut down 10 minutes in. Next I tried using the recovery discs I created from HP software to end up same result... laptop, at a random point just shuts down (not power supply, will clarify deeper in.)(These same discs have been used several times to restore my laptop as a yearly clean up and are in undamaged condition. Strike 2. Now I am not unlearned or a newbie so I prepared to install a fresh OS from scratch (Xp with sp1 Upgrade from Win 2k pro full disc). After starting everything seemed to go good and again pc shut down again!!!! And AGAIN!!!! What is going on I ask?? So I hirens boot cd it again and kill cmos and low level format, delete all partitions and chkdsk.... Starting over I put XP disc in and before asking for win 2k disk for proof of ownership it again shuts down. More disk checks and anything I can think might work... fdsk...etc i try a gain... This time I start with win 2k pro and here it gets funny.... it installs in like 40 mins... I leave on all night and while I work next day and I come home to a laptop that hasn't shut down!????? So I proceed to install upgrade again only to have PC shut down!!1 AARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!

Start over, I get Win 2k installed, source all drivers and software I need... 2 days later my pc is stable and up to date (176 windows upgrades later) All seems good.. Now I want to image/clone and hirens it again to have every, I mean every b/u app on the disk crash my pc, not restart just plain shut it down!!! What the He!

Help, Can you offer me any ideas as to what the issue is!!

I am Crazy now and ready to throw this in the garbage!!! I do not want to be stuck on Win2K, I cannot justify more $$$ right now and my laptop is great for what I need it for (if I could get it to Xp again) Help???

G

I am also facing same problem that my laptop was getting heated up while installing Xp and shut down b4 whole installation complected before 38 mins.... upon rreading Ur comment, I have kept my laptop near my window n outside temperature is minus 6 degree.,, also removed my battery.lets C wat happens..hopp laptop gets chilled...

Hop it works....

Now the time comes wer it was crashing down......38 mins to go

going good........37 mins to go

still working fine ....Gr8,,,,34 mins to go....

24 mins to complete ....i hop it realy got chilled....19 mins going gr8,,,17 mins,,haaa started snowing,,,need to get in,,,,13 mins....8 mins,,,,,,good one guys,,,,,its all urs efforts... thanks a lot,,,

5 mins 2 go,,,,,4 mins,,,,3 mins,,,1 mins,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

hurrayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

thank you my dear friends,,,, it worked,,,,,

Thanks from bottom of heart,,

take care,,, its very true,, problem with heating,,,,,,,,concluded

It worked for my laptop, I took the battery out and tried installing it again and it worked. Yeah me

dzcatic

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
I also faced with that problem on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite P300), and I solved that :na: .
When your computer shut down during the installation (after copying a files), you should turn on and try again, and if that *** happened again do the same process. and it will work, you just need to be patient. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS