Computer Shuts Down With Games...

xunleashed

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Started to have this problem a few weeks ago. While running games such as COD4, Borderlands or MW2 the computer will shut down, no error message or anything. It will occur at random times, but ONLY during games, never when the computer is idle. Sometimes 20 minutes into a game, other times an hour. I checked the temp and it is 71 degrees idle at startup, but the card is only at 50 degrees.

I thought it was the PSU so I got a new 700W OCZ unit and still have the same problem even after installing two more fans inside.

So now I really have no idea what the problem is and I searched the web, but there isn't really a straight answer.

I have a ATI HD4870, 2GB of PC2-6400 RAM and an ASUS 650i mobo along with the PSU.

Anyone have any suggestions to the problem?

Is it possible that I fried the GPU on the card? My power went out a few weeks ago and blew out my old PSU (700W) and I had to get a makeshift one from bestbuy, 500 Watts that I returned for the new 700W OCZ that I bought. Could it be that when I was using the one from BB that I fried the GPU because that is when the problem began to occur a lot, although it was happening before with the old 700W that I had.

xunleashed

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Okay well after doing a few tests.

The GPU gets up to about 80 degrees after about a minute, but I don't want to push it any higer, but I know it will get up there. The CPU says -35(?) when I do the test for some odd reason, but before it wouldn't even let me do the test when it idled because it said "CPU Too Hot!".

Those are the kinds of CPU temperatures that will cause the system to shut off.

I don't think the CPU is shot, but if you keep it up, eventually that's what'll happen. It's shutting itself off to prevent heat damage.

The issue is probably what dndhatcher said. CPU fan is dead or dying, thermal paste is too old, or dust is clogging everything up. All of those are relatively cheap and easy to fix.

xunleashed

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
okay i cleaned out the CPU fan and used some thermal paste. The fan was VERY VERY dusty. The temps now START at 41 degrees instead of 80 degrees, which is a good sign. I will see how long the test will run.

Twice a year housekeeping inside a computer case will extend the life of the components!

xunleashed

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Ran Borderlands for about 2 hours so far and we are looking brilliant! I didn't think a simple solution like this was possible. I was about to reset the BIOS and start looking for new MOBO's or a GFX card. Hopefully it will keep running this way. I am going to do a serious clean tomorrow.