Computer shuts itself down before windows loads

ace_m_all

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Okay, I have a little bit of a weird issue with booting up windows.

I built my computer about 6 months ago and it has been running like a beast, I love it.

I have recently in the last week or so encountered an issue sometimes, when I try to turn my computer on. I can get into the BIOS fine but just before it loads windows my pc will power down.

The weird thing is if I unplug one of my monitors (I have two and a TV) windows seems to load up fine, could this be a problem with the PSU or GPU? however if I plug the monitor back in, everything is absolutely fine.

For your information these are my PC specs:
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC-Force Motherboard
- i7-4790k @ 4.40GHz (was at 4.70GHz but i took it down a notch or two to see if voltage was an issue)
- G.SKILL Sniper 2x8Gb (was OC to 2400MHz but took it down to 2000Mhz to see if it was voltage)
- Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 6GB Gaming graphics card
- Corsair 750W CS750M ATX Power Supply
- OCZ Arc100 Series 240GB SSD

I don't think its an overheating issue as at idle my CPU is 28-30 degrees Celsius

I am new to this Form so if this is posted incorrectly I do apologize.

Solution
I would stab the culprit to be the PSU. You can rule out the other guys by
a| making sure your BIOS and remaining device drivers are up to date. In case of your GPU if the latest drivers are seen to do this then revert to the last known stable drivers using display driver uninstaller.
b| try and boot to your desktop with only one monitor connected using the native connections, preferably the DVI port and see if the issue is replicated.
c| rule out ram by running memtest86 for 10 passes
d| borrow a PSU from a friend of similar wattage yet reliable enough to power your system and see if the issue is replicated with all your monitors connected.

You didn't state your case and your OS in your specs though. What of...

Lutfij

Titan
I would stab the culprit to be the PSU. You can rule out the other guys by
a| making sure your BIOS and remaining device drivers are up to date. In case of your GPU if the latest drivers are seen to do this then revert to the last known stable drivers using display driver uninstaller.
b| try and boot to your desktop with only one monitor connected using the native connections, preferably the DVI port and see if the issue is replicated.
c| rule out ram by running memtest86 for 10 passes
d| borrow a PSU from a friend of similar wattage yet reliable enough to power your system and see if the issue is replicated with all your monitors connected.

You didn't state your case and your OS in your specs though. What of aftermarket cooling?

Solution