Computer shuts off and restarts and no display.

Kazm626

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
Hi, so basically my pc turns on for a short amount of time, from 5 seconds of power to maybe 20. all this time it has no display, so i cant really do much of anything, no boot up sequence, nothing. I have a Raidmax winterfall fulltower, asrock extreme3 mobo, 2x GTX 770's ACX SC. w/LCS on Cpu. 240mm rad. and strobe light in case. All lights come on, every fan works. I tried 3 different harddrives, swapped the ram in and out. Jumped the bios, popped the battery, removed both gpus to try mobos output-didnt work. I have two psu's i tried, both seem to work fine. Azza 800 watt 80 plus and EVGA 850 supernova G2. The nova had it working till i shut it down and tried adding a harddrive, then all hell went loose. any advice?

Solution
Yea, I remember my first build my ram was defective and that caused me to get a black screen though. Your PSU is a good quality one I believe; should be since it's a supernova. An 850 is more than enough for that, you might be pulling 600w-650w at most. A 770 is only 218w or so at peak and you have a intel CPU so... :S damn computers lol

Hmm, so it could be the ram or the mobo, but I still think it's the mobo. Not sure what else to tell you right now except head down to a PC shop and see if they can test a new mobo on it. Unless you know someone with a computer you could use to swap out parts.

jaraldo

Honorable
Hey,

Do you happen to get any beep codes? You seemed to have tried everything :/

You tried just one GPU at a time? It's could be a number of things that are mobo related like slots not working.

Do you have a spare computer you could swap in parts and go by trial and error until you find the source? (you have the spare psu so I thought i'd ask :) )

Kazm626

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
hey thanks for the fast response, unfortunately my spare part pc is miles away being used by my brother in law. I did try one at a time, tried switching their slots too. I would rather the mobo be faulty then the gpu's. But everything turns on, just al 3 sources gpu 1 gpu 2 and Mobo graphic output don't get sent through. it runs for a while the pump's working, then it shuts down. no warning, no stuttering or anything. Before this started happening was playing Watch dogs on ultra, cpu temp was a 79f and gpu's reading 119f, course i had other things running so i don't think its overheating. I also should point out i don't overclock. I also noticed that when i plugged more then one usb in some started not to work. Ex. I would plug in my headsets usb power cord next to my afterglow xbox controller and the green led on the controller would dim and the controls would stop working correctly. Not sure if thats related, but its also a usb port issue.

Kazm626

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
yea sorry i didnt think to include it, its intel, i7-4770k, and mobo graphics arn't sending any signal either. somthing somewhere is wrong, i keep looking over the wiring and to my eye, everything looks right.

jaraldo

Honorable
Ahh, so then this build hasn't been put together for very long? Well, wiring isn't so hard as long as you check your manual.

Btw, when you said your pump was working, you mean you have water cooling?

I'm still leaning towards your mobo having a problem from what you've mentioned so far. Can you even put into the bios?

Kazm626

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
I have no display to do anything, it's like it's not able to see any connections anymore. I agree, i am thinking its the motherboard, and yes, I have looped to Cpu, open loop system. But thats another thing. SLI with acx's and a LCS, 2x 120mm led blue fans, 140 non led fan and a 230mm blue led fan...an 800-850 watts good enough right? I mean if it was the psu, i think i would still see a boot screen at somepoint.

jaraldo

Honorable
Yea, I remember my first build my ram was defective and that caused me to get a black screen though. Your PSU is a good quality one I believe; should be since it's a supernova. An 850 is more than enough for that, you might be pulling 600w-650w at most. A 770 is only 218w or so at peak and you have a intel CPU so... :S damn computers lol

Hmm, so it could be the ram or the mobo, but I still think it's the mobo. Not sure what else to tell you right now except head down to a PC shop and see if they can test a new mobo on it. Unless you know someone with a computer you could use to swap out parts.

Solution