Computer Shuts Off and Wont Turn Back On Until I Unplug It

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpontin

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Hey Everyone,

I built this computer a couple of years ago and it has been running great ever since with very few issues. Recently however the computer started turning off at random and it will not turn back on unless I unplug it for several seconds and then plug it back in. Sometimes it will turn off when I am doing something that stresses the computer (gaming, encoding video etc..) but other times it will happen when the computer is almost idle. Initially I assumed it was an overheating problem but even if I leave the computer turned off overnight, it will not turn back on in the morning unless I unplug it and plug it back in. I have also run stress tests on it and it and I cant get the temperature to go above 68 degrees Celsius even after an hour at 100% CPU usage. I opened the case up right when it happened a couple of times ago and it felt like the PSU was very hot. Is it possible that the PSU is overheating and causing the computer to shut down? Or do you think it couple possibly be a motherboard issue? I am on the verge of going out and buying a new PSU but I thought I would get your guys' opinion to see if it might not be a motherboard issue.

Thanks Very Much!

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
Silverstone Strider 600W Modular PSU

Solution
The problem:
I too had the same problem. I was running a new build about 3 months old. Every now an then the computer would shut off for no reason, or I would leave the computer, let it go into sleep mode and the dam thing would not start up. The power button did nothing and even flipping the hard switch on the back of the PSU did nothing, All I could do was unplug the power cord from the PSU, plug it back in and the computer would then restart. It would also say in the boot that windows had not shut down correctly, so I knew something was going on.

My solution:
After trying just about everything software wise (except a complete windows reinstall) I was able to track the problem down to my PSU as many forums had suggested. It tuned out...

Baoo

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
well i wanna say I'm one more step into this shit. i had this signs of problem you mentioned for a year. and one day PC didn't power on, so i tried to unplug power cord and replug it after seconds as usual.
but
it simply didn't worked anymore. no matter how many retries i did, just nothing.
so went straight for the DVD Writer cable i unplug it and tried to hit the power but just nothing.
next time i tried hard disk's power cable. PC turned on and asked for boot drive then i powered off manually, reattached hard disk's power and tried the power button. It was just fine again.
after that every time this problem appears i should power on PC without hard disk first, turn off, replug hard' power and turn on PC again.
i just heard in some cases changing Mother Board and PSU didn't worked. so you might put hard disk as a new factor in the problem.

andrewdanpham

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
This was the same exact problem I had! i took your advice and moved the wires out to the empty drive bay and and tidied them up a bit and VOILA! The PSU stopped acting up. Thanks for saving me 70 bucks on a new PSU, I was at my wits end.

chiptim

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
I've got the exact same problem. Brand new Asus P8-Z77 LK mobo, 2500K processor that is fine, new graphics card (GTX 660) clean Win 7 install on brand new Samsung SSD. So I bought a new PSU even though my old one was 650W, it was a value brand. Now have EVGA 750W B2 and STILL THE SAME PROBLEM!! Got a replacement mobo. No difference. AGGGGHHHH!
Even disconnecting from the mains and leaving overnight does not make it start. You HAVE to remove a PSU connector then it starts and runs fine. Is it a windows 7 thing?

chiptim

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
FOUND THE PROBLEM!!

Its a dodgy display port lead with pin 20 (power connected through) when it shouldn't be as each end power the link. So the monitor on standby was injecting power into the motherboard that prevented all the PSU rails from fully decaying. The residual voltage obviously preventing a clean boot. Either turning off the monitor or removing DP lead allowed reliable boot up. Asus confirmed that this might not have been a problem on my previous motherboard (M2N) because it couldn't make use of the pin 20 power. Anyway it works so for anyone with boot problems and a monitor connected via a DP cable remove the cable and see it this fixes it.

Reactions: Wessel Truter

I cant live

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
having a similar problem right now. I shut down normally as I leave the PC overnight but it wont power on the following day. the only way it turns on is when I flip the PSU from 1 to 0 to 1. when the pc boots and windows load I notice the time had stopped for a few hours.

so could this be due the mobo battery?

my specs:
-AMD FX8120
-Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 (2x8gb)
-Gigabyte Ultra Durable 2 GA-970A-D3
-Western digital 320GB 7200rpm
-Seagate barrucada 2TB 7200rpm
-Radeon 7790 1gb
-Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
-Coolermaster extreme 525w

fixit001

Reputable
May 16, 2015
Had same issue turned out to be way too expensive the power supply I replaced was a decent one only a year old but it acted as the power supply so I went out and brought a 750 watt from Corsair as it was a trusted name and the same thing again started to happen. Only then it happened a lot more often. So what the heck I brought a new motherboard and still the same issue, the system had issues before but not as often as after I replaced the PS with a higher wattage supply, so I then calculated all my electrical components on the circuit and found I was well above the rated 1800 watts on a 15 amp 120 volt circuit. So what was happening was I was getting brownouts as the system wanted more power for like playing a game the power supply was trying to get more power but was restricted by the lack of power available hence shutting down and needing to be reset by unplugging it. I put a dedicated line in from the breaker box and all is fine now.

ProLeopard

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014

Hello,

First I want to thank you for helping me. My computer would just randomly shut down and wouldn't turn on unless I unplugged the PSU and plugged it back in.
Today, I just removed extra cables, and freed the cables up a bit and it turned on when I asked it to.
I turned the PC of and on again without removing the PSU cable, which it wasn't able to do before so it should work now.
Again, thanks a lot dude.

//ProLeopard

UPDATE:

Just finished rewiring my entire PC and doing some cable management.
Far from perfect, but the case panel covering the wires fits easily and the wires aren't crammed.
Everything works fine, thank you again for recommending this.

//ProLeopard

UPDATE 2:

Unfortunately, this solution didn't last.
I had no choice but to RMA my PSU and I got another one.
Since then I have not yet had PSU related problems.

//ProLeopard

Teymur Tahmazov

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015

Thanks bro! It helped for me, had the same problem!

daesonn

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015

Interesting find! I have replaced my PSU, which is modular, so there are no excess cables to cause interference, and also replaced my power surge protector but still have to unplug my PC to turn it back on. However, I did buy a new (open-box) monitor which utilizes a DP cable around the same time this problem started happening. Are you saying simply replacing the DP cable with a new one fixed the issue?

xander22

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

Just wanted to say thank you for this post. I was having exactly the same issue so I fully cleaned my PC with an air duster and re-cabled so that no cables were in bundles or touching the case - it worked straight after!

Jim_46

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

skippyboy

Commendable
May 10, 2016

skippyboy

Commendable
May 10, 2016
tried most things on this thread without success. My lad eventually found the problem. The radeon r9 graphics card had its own power options separate to windows 10. disabling the graphic cards dedicated power options and letting windows 10 power options control the graphics card resulted in solving the problem. No more unplugging for me !!!

Fred_26

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016

^^^ This worked for me.

firephoenixck

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
I have built a new computer with ASUS H170M-PLUS for several month. I face similar problem. After shut off the computer with main switch on the case panel, it won't turn back on until I turn off the PSU unit and switch on again after a few second. I try different power management setting and cannot solve the problem. All the components are new and work properly except the above problem.

I discovered that the problem can be resolved simply by switching off the monitor as well as the mother board. Now, problem resolved. I can restart my computer without unplugging the PSU.

obscured

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Just an FYI, I had the same issue as the others on this thread, I did all the normal TS steps, but in my case the PSU was faulty, installed a new PSU yesterday and it's been working great. I forgot I had being using that same PSU for 9 years, it was in 3 different builds, 1000w Corsair HX, I replaced it with a new Corsair 1000W HXI that has a ten year warranty.

gloguidice

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018

gloguidice

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018
From my experience which is pretty extensive the PSU is the problem 90% After that a stuck CPU or a GPU fan. A short is very rare and the Cmos battery lasts a lot longer than 2 years. Its possible for one of the wires to become nicked but that would cause a immediate short which should repeat immediately when pluged back in. I have had a shorted drive but it caused a shut down on boot up test which would repeat.

Mar 25, 2018
Just for others who might run into this issue... My computer started doing this after 9 months of a brand new build. Make sure you take off all connections and blow them out before reseating. While pulling them all, I pulled one and found a small piece of fuzz/lint had crept inside the connector (for me, it was a connector from my PSU going into my GPU). Pulled the lint out, finished cleaning/airing the rest of them all off and 4 days or random shutdowns were gone. I'll be blowing my computer out every month going forward.

Aug 19, 2020
I have a AMD 3950x with corsair 128gb dd4 ram @ 3600 Mhz and a RTX 2080ti using a 1200w psu corsair platinum and playing games now pc shuts off and my ram RGB lights light up changing colors but pc is off and power button reset button doesn't work have to pull out power cable plug it back to get it on and it goes out again just doing something or playing a game. was the problem everything up to date everything is new

right now I plug psu in to wall socket had it in a multiplug maybe my surge protector is bad

Aug 19, 2020
nope keeps happening again pc doesnt stay on anymore only comes on for 10 minutes then shuts off power button doesnt work unless I plug out psu and back again.. pc doesnt say nothing about shut downs have no idea was going on

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you're really in need of assistance, start a new thread with a detailed list of specs and a detailed description of the problem. You're not going to get much help by jumping into a random thread from 10 years ago with a specific problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.