Computer shuts off during cpu intensive activity

Quacky

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I have an AMD eight core processor, and my computer shuts off after a few minutes of major cpu activity. If I turn if back on within a minute, it shuts off again. This does not happen when I use my video card (games, gpu rendering).

Quacky

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz 125Watt Eight core desktop processor. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960
I have a temperature monitor. The CPU idles at about 16C, but then shoots up to over 80 C during intensive stuff. I guess that's pretty hot, I just don't understand what caused it to begin overheating. I have an Antec 900 gaming case with plenty of big fans in it and I applied Thermal Grease to the heatsink on two occasions. I'm wondering if this is purely a hardware issue, or if software is involved. I am using the heatsink that came with the processor. The fan works just fine (besides failing to keep the CPU cool).

Thanks
Stephen, Avid 3D animator

Quacky

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Hey, I did some research and then just bought a noctua NH-D14. No more trouble with that. My temps hover around ten C, and they haven't gotten above fifty. It is awesome (and huge). Thanks!