[SOLVED] Computer shuts off immediately after turning on

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2021
So ive had my new setup for about over half a year now.

• Ryzen 5600x (stock cooler)
  • XFX rx 580
  • Asus TUF X570
  • EVGA super nova 850w gold
  • samsung 970 pro 500gb
  • Seagate barracuda 2tb
  • 16 gb gskill ripjaws
All inside a phanteks p400a

I recently moved so I had to ship my desktop via fedex. However, since ive received my desktop, it'll either power cycle continously, or power cycle once and not turn on again.

I managed to fix the problem for about two weeks, I swapped psus, which fixed nothing. I also took everything out of my case and reinstalled everything, which also didn't solve anything. I then decided to plug my computer directly into the wall socket instead of my power surge, which ended up fixing the problem.

But after my pc went to sleep yesterday, I started it back up and it's begun shutting off immediately after 2 seconds again.

I went the route of taking everything out besides cpu, mobo, psu, and m.2 ssd and it still shut off immediately. After that i also went and cleared the cmos. So I'm assuming either my 5600x is on it's last legs, or my motherboard got damaged during shipping. As swapping out my 850w psu with another gold 650w didn't solve anything.

I'm not sure if I should go ahead and reinstall everything once again to check for shorts, I really don't wanna go through that all again.

Not sure if this is note worthy, but my motherboard rgb will stay on after it shuts off, it won't go away. Also, after my PC shuts off, after about 30 seconds my keyboard rgb will turn on as well, staying on even after attempting to turn on the desktop multiple times, it'll only go away after i turn the power supply off.

Solution
Just breadboarded, turned on no issue. Gonna reinstall into my case again and see if it works.
When you say that you took everything out and put it back again, did you also take your heatsink off of the CPU and remount it.?

When moving a PC, the thing that most commonly gets damaged is the heatsink and where/how it connects to the motherboard, especially with large and heavy tower coolers, and doubly so if they do not have a solid mounting connection. If they do, and the PC has been given a big bump (parcel company style) the motherboard can get damaged. Otherwise it is usually the graphics card and for the same reasons, a lot of mass that has no support at all on two sides can flex, move around, damage the socket etc.

PSU's...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you include the make and model of the 650W unit? It's age would also help us two fold. Did you breadboard the system? I'd suggest taking the discrete GPU out and see if you can get the system to at least power up, you won't get display since the Ryzen 5600x doesn't have an iGPU. Breadboarding actually helps you narrow down if the case is causing a short, if the components are wonky or if you're seeing or hearing something that wasn't meant to be there at all(prior to today).

Also, after my PC shuts off, after about 30 seconds my keyboard rgb will turn on as well, staying on even after attempting to turn on the desktop multiple times, it'll only go away after i turn the power supply off.
Either the wiring in your house is compromised or you have a PSU that is faulty or failing.

May 6, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you include the make and model of the 650W unit? It's age would also help us two fold. Did you breadboard the system? I'd suggest taking the discrete GPU out and see if you can get the system to at least power up, you won't get display since the Ryzen 5600x doesn't have an iGPU. Breadboarding actually helps you narrow down if the case is causing a short, if the components are wonky or if you're seeing or hearing something that wasn't meant to be there at all(prior to today).

Also, after my PC shuts off, after about 30 seconds my keyboard rgb will turn on as well, staying on even after attempting to turn on the desktop multiple times, it'll only go away after i turn the power supply off.
Either the wiring in your house is compromised or you have a PSU that is faulty or failing.

The psu is fairly new, I got it around jan 2021, its an evga supernova 650w gold ( I will note that I did have some issues with it, when I put it into my sisters rig, trying to play any games would shut the system off, but I'm 90% sure it's because I didn't seat the mobo psu cord correctly. I ended up reinstalling the old psu, and didn't have time to check the psu before I left, so it's just been sitting in a box for a while. ) If need be I can reinstall the psu back into my sister's rig to check if it functions normally.

I am unsure of what breadboarding is, but I'll look it up and see if it helps. I did take out my gpu, ram, and hdd, which didn't work. I'll plug one stick of ram back in to see if anything changes.

On the subject of noise though, I noticed that whenever my pc shuts off, something in my pc (most likely the psu) will make a clicking sound. I'm unsure if it was making that sound before I packed my pc up and moved, or if it's normal at all. As well, I noticed that while my pc was working for the 2 weeks it was, my cpu fan would go into overdrive randomly, it could've been while gaming, browsing the internet, or while nothing was happening and the monitor was asleep.

Also, I think what you are saying about the wiring in my house being compromised might be true. My parents house has had a whole array of issues the past few years. The contractors that worked on our house were pretty shady and cheaped out on our plumbing, so it's likely they did the same in other areas including wiring.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Just breadboarded, turned on no issue. Gonna reinstall into my case again and see if it works.
When you say that you took everything out and put it back again, did you also take your heatsink off of the CPU and remount it.?

When moving a PC, the thing that most commonly gets damaged is the heatsink and where/how it connects to the motherboard, especially with large and heavy tower coolers, and doubly so if they do not have a solid mounting connection. If they do, and the PC has been given a big bump (parcel company style) the motherboard can get damaged. Otherwise it is usually the graphics card and for the same reasons, a lot of mass that has no support at all on two sides can flex, move around, damage the socket etc.

PSU's can also be damaged by being given sharp shocks (dropped, parcel company style) that can cause this kind of problem.

IMHO, you should check that your heatsink is mounted correctly and firmly (be careful taking it off, it can pull the CPU out of the socket and can bend pins), and also trying another PSU is a wise move.

Personally, I am leaning towards the motherboard as you have already tried a second PSU, although having a surge protector or not should not make any difference. It would be a good (and easy) test to try it in another room with and without the surge protector just in-case that room/outlet has dodgy wiring, a real possibility.

The minimum a PC needs to post is 24-pin power, 4/8-pin power, CPU, RAM, power switch, and perhaps keyboard (as it might complain if you don't have one), nothing else is required to get it to turn on. What happens then depends on your motherboard, at the least it should power on and stay on complaining about something in some way (bleeper, LED's post-code numbers etc), but even without graphics output (graphics card plugged in) it should power on and stay on.

Good luck.

Solution
May 6, 2021

PSU's can also be damaged by being given sharp shocks (dropped, parcel company style) that can cause this kind of problem.

IMHO, you should check that your heatsink is mounted correctly and firmly (be careful taking it off, it can pull the CPU out of the socket and can bend pins), and also trying another PSU is a wise move.

Personally, I am leaning towards the motherboard as you have already tried a second PSU, although having a surge protector or not should not make any difference. It would be a good (and easy) test to try it in another room with and without the surge protector just in-case that room/outlet has dodgy wiring, a real possibility.

The minimum a PC needs to post is 24-pin power, 4/8-pin power, CPU, RAM, power switch, and perhaps keyboard (as it might complain if you don't have one), nothing else is required to get it to turn on. What happens then depends on your motherboard, at the least it should power on and stay on complaining about something in some way (bleeper, LED's post-code numbers etc), but even without graphics output (graphics card plugged in) it should power on and stay on.

Good luck.

When I shipped the computer, the only thing I removed from the computer was the gpu, I assumed that since I was running a stock amd cooler, I wouldn't need to take it out. I did place some foam around the case and heatsink before shipping to make sure it was secure.

When my pc wasn't working the first time I assumed it was the heatsink, and that was probably the first thing I reinstalled, still didn't work.

I also attempted with different sockets, same issue.

But after breadboarding I powered it on and the motherboard stayed on, the LEDs cycle but it is consistently white majority of the time. I didn't try it with the gpu in, which I should've, but I feel like something in my case might be shorting it, although I'm not sure what.

May 6, 2021
So i plugged everything back in, first time i tried to boot it shut off, second time it turned on perfectly fine and loads into windows. Not sure what to do now if there is anything to do.

So i plugged everything back in, first time i tried to boot it shut off, second time it turned on perfectly fine and loads into windows. Not sure what to do now if there is anything to do.
The next step would be stress testing CPU and GPU individually to see if there is anything going on with them. Next would be to tax both simultaneously to see if the PSU can handle a full load from the computer. If you can test your parts you are suspicious of individually in your sisters computer, do so. So test the GPU, PSU, RAM (if possible), CPU (if possible). Your problem can be caused by many things so you need a process of elimination to determine what is going on.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
The next step would be stress testing CPU and GPU individually to see if there is anything going on with them. Next would be to tax both simultaneously to see if the PSU can handle a full load from the computer. If you can test your parts you are suspicious of individually in your sisters computer, do so. So test the GPU, PSU, RAM (if possible), CPU (if possible). Your problem can be caused by many things so you need a process of elimination to determine what is going on.

I second this.

Also, if you are questioning whether you have a short in your case, you can run everything outside of the case. The easiest way to do this is to put the motherboard onto the silverly plastic bag that your motherboard came in (the silvery ones are antistatic), and put it on the motherboard box up to the edge, this allows you to plug in the GPU as the bottom of the GPU backplate is taller than the motherboard, so hang it over the side, the PSU can just sit anywhere and voila, a working PC outside of the case with no issues except the graphics card will want to lean over, just use the GPU power cables to balance it out (y)

Reactions: helper800
May 6, 2021

I haven't had much time since I had exams the last few days, but I was able to stress test on unigen haven and time spy and they both ran flawlessly. After that I was able to play some games as well, no hiccups. But as I was expecting, today when I went to boot my pc up again, it just shut off immediately.

I went and tested the ram and gpu in my sisters computer, both ran perfectly fine.

At this point I'm just planning on rma'ing the mobo, since I'm not sure what to do at this point. I could literally take out everything from my sisters computer and place my stuff in, since we both use the same motherboard. But I don't know if that'll help me solve anything, and my sister probably wouldn't appreciate me doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.