Computer shuts off only after a few seconds of being on

chaostheory0

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I've seen this posted an ungodly amount of times, but most posts do not mention the problem that I have.
I built a new computer about 4 months ago and ended up installing a liquid cooling system for the CPU. Time passes, everything works great. I come home from class yesterday and noticed my computer is off. I then attempt to turn on it, only to have it shut down after a few seconds of being on. There was one instance where I did manage to start up for more than a few seconds (I waited about 20 minutes before turning it back on again) and one of the errors that I noticed said "CPU fan failure 1" or something along those lines. I've read through the troubleshoot checklist and have done everything. When I removed the actual processor, then booted the computer it stayed on, but when putting the CPU back in it proceeded to have the same problem as before. Literally everything else in the computer comes on, even the fans for the liquid cooling system. I've done an RMA for my cooling system assuming that it's the cause of it, but I'm wondering what your guys input is on this.
Specs: AMD FX 8350, Corsair Memory Vengeance 8GB(2), Asus - M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard, MSI GeForce GTx 1060, EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply and the liquid cooling system is a Corsair h100 V2.
Thanks for reading

Solution

You are reaching your TJmax, otherwise known as Thermal Junction Limit. More than likely your pump has failed, test it by replacing the Liquid cooler with a stock air cooler.
Do you have any sort of simple chassis fan you can connect temporarily to the CPU FAN header just to trick the MB into thinking that the CPU fan is serviceable? If it then stays on, you might be on to something. Once all of the fluid is cooled down, and pump not warm to the touch, it it still won't stay on but 2 seconds, I would not think it pump related...

You can try disconnecting all SATA power/data connections, removing unnecessary USB headers, etc. just ot rule out simple shorts, etc, and, try dropping to a single stick of RAM in required slot. Beyond that, MB failure is a possibility, of course...

DO you have another known good PSU of sufficient wattage you could borrow to try to eliminate that as a possibility?

chaostheory0

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
No, I have not replaced the cooler primarily because I do not have access to the chassis fan that came with the CPU. I'll be honest, when I did research into the FX 8350, I noticed that a lot of people were claiming that this particular CPU has a tendency to get extremely hot. Touching it feels like touching a plate that just came out of the microwave.
I'm waiting for a response from Corsair and if they can't do anything, I'll just suck it up and buy a new one to see if that is the problem.
Well, when I touch the part of the pump that is closest to the CPU, they're both pretty warm for only be active for just a few seconds.
I've tried that. Same results. I did consider MB failure as well, but at the moment I am trying to rule everything one by one.
I do not have a spare power supply nor do I know of anybody that has a spare.
Thanks for your replies, I really do appreciate it.
Edit: MDD, I actually found it and will try your suggestion, thanks.

chaostheory0

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
So, I did find the original fan, plugged it into where the liquid cooler should plug in and it still shuts off after a few seconds. I managed to get into bios for the first time and right away I noticed the CPU temp rising extremely fast. Peaked at about 123F before it shut off.

Carbongrip

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015

You are reaching your TJmax, otherwise known as Thermal Junction Limit. More than likely your pump has failed, test it by replacing the Liquid cooler with a stock air cooler.

Solution

chaostheory0

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
Quick update on the situation: managed to get a new liquid cooling system from Corsair. As Carbon stated, one of the pumps had failed and now with a new one, the computer runs just fine. Thank you guys so much for your help!