Computer Shuts off randomly.

Evan_Morrison

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
I have a problem with my computer tripping and turning off.
This happens when I play Dark Souls III and no other programs

Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
MSI 970A-G46 Motherboard
AMD Zambezi Quad-Core F3-12800CL9S-4GBSR Processor
4 x 4gb F3-12800CL9S-4GBSR Gskill Sniper series RAM
GeForce Gtx 960ti 4gb 1.14 hrz Graphics Card
Sandisk 120 gb ssd
kingston 120 gb ssd
500 gb seagate hdd
850w EVGA GQ series Gold power supply

All this is connected to a TRIPP-LITE home theatre surge protector and a standard household 120v outlet. This was also happening with my previous 450w Power supply.

As stated before while playing DS3 about 30-60 minutes in my computer trips off. This happens at all graphic settings regardless of programs running in the background. I have also tried using msi afterburner to limit the GPU power draw but to no avail. This may also be a heating issue, although I should have the same problem with other programs if this is the case. Thank you for your time and consideration in this issue.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Test%201.png

It may be my mobo as upon startup I get the code B2 in the bottom and BIOS comes up as a black screen. I tried reseting CMOS and reinstalling bios but niether solved the code B2.

Solution
Check to see if your CPU heatsink is properly installed. Check your temps to. Do you have another demanding game on your PC? If the issue was the same with your old power supply, then it is unlikely the problem.

Here is what I would try...

1. Don't use your surge protector and pug your PC directly in the electric outlet and redo the test (fault finding if the surge protector is the issue)
2. Try another demanding game, a power hungry one like Crysis, Doom, Far Cry, The Witcher 3, etc. If the issue is duplicate itself, than you have a heat problem or a power problem, doesn't mean it is your power supply.
3. Update your drivers, your OS, and reinstall DS3. A file could be corrupted and make your PC crash. You might have an important...

manddy123

Admirable
This seems like a overheating issue for me.
Other programs might not be pushing your CPU/GPU as much as DS3 does, maybe that's why it only shutdown on that game.

Could you please monitor your CPU and GPU temps while gaming and post them here?

Also, are you using stock cooler or a third-party one? Which is?
How long do you have this PC? Have you ever changed it's thermal paste?
Any fan not working?
Tried to unplug your PC from the Tripp and pluggin your PC directly to the power outlet to see if this problem still occurs?

1. Are you blue screening, if so need STOP error code... make sure that you have Windows Auto restart turned off.

2. What does Event Viewer say happened ?

3. What are GPU / VRM temps

4. What happens after removing surge protector ?

5. is 960 Ti a typo ? I remember 950 Ti / 960 Ti being talked about and "in the works" announcements but remember them as having never been released. nVidia doesn't list a 950 Ti / 960 Ti on their hardware product page.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus

Check to see if your CPU heatsink is properly installed. Check your temps to. Do you have another demanding game on your PC? If the issue was the same with your old power supply, then it is unlikely the problem.

Here is what I would try...

1. Don't use your surge protector and pug your PC directly in the electric outlet and redo the test (fault finding if the surge protector is the issue)
2. Try another demanding game, a power hungry one like Crysis, Doom, Far Cry, The Witcher 3, etc. If the issue is duplicate itself, than you have a heat problem or a power problem, doesn't mean it is your power supply.
3. Update your drivers, your OS, and reinstall DS3. A file could be corrupted and make your PC crash. You might have an important file on a bad cluster etc.
4. If you can, try another GPU.
5. Use memtest86 and scan your ram.

I honestly believe that it could be your mobo or your GPU if any of the above doesn't work.

Solution

cilliers

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

Yes, this seems like a good starting point to me as well, because those TRIPP-LITE home theatre surge protectors have a maximum wattage rating, you know.

Evan_Morrison

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Thanks for the quick replies, Ill get to doing all of those things in just a second

Update: Removing the Tripp-Lite still has the same problem occur, trying another game.

Update: Not sure if applicable but overwatch on epic settings it ran fine

Update: Updated drivers and OS have same problem. Reinstalling DS3 now

Evan_Morrison

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

The computer just trips off, no error codes or anything.
Gpu temp hovers around 40-60 C
CPU temp is a clean 80C with no change.
Same problem with removal of tripp-lite
Also yes it was a typo

Well that resolves 1 of the 5.

1. That sounds like it's shutting down to protect itself

2. What does Event Viewer say happened ? Use Windows help, type i Event Viewer

3. That is too high but meaningless w/o a standardized test load. See test procedure below

4. Ok we can forget about SP.

5. What is the GFX card ... make, series and model number

Test Procedure:

1. Download RoG Real Bench, HWiNFO64 and Furmark

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43233-Realbench-v2-Discussion-Thread-Download-Links
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

2. When you open Real Bench, move both windows to left side of screen. Open HWiNFO64, run "sensors only", you may get a pop up asking whether to disable reading certain chips, click "Disable this sensor". Move the HWiNFO64 window to upper right hand corner of screen. Stretch bottom of window to full screen height.

3. Open Real Bench, select Benchmark Tab , check all 4 boxes and run. NOTE: Pay close attention to Vcores as they will spike throughout the test MAKE SURE not to exceed safe voltages and temps and stop the test before that happens

4. Record max core temp and max Vcore readings.

5. Now clear all the readings in HWiNFO

6. Open Furmark, select your resolution and run the stress test.

7. Watch the curve till it flattens to a horizontal line.

8. Record max GPU and VRM temps, max TDP

9. If either test shuts down the PC, you found your problem.

10. Report back w/ recorded readings

Evan_Morrison

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

Yeah a re-install and driver updates fixed the problem! Thanks for the help everyone!