Question Computer Shuts off When Playing Intensive Games

Apr 1, 2019
So I just built a new pc, everything was working fine. When I start playing a graphically intensive game, it runs for a few minutes and then the computer completely shuts off and won’t turn on for about five minutes. This doesn’t happen when playing some older and less intensive games. My first thought was that the computer was overheating, so I opened up HWMonitor and then opened the game. All the temperatures looked alright (50-60 Celsius range), but it still shut off. The computer didn’t feel warm to the touch. My current suspect is the power supply. I re-used an old power supply from around 2009, and I had to improvise a bit. The eight pin CPU power slot on the motherboard only has four pins plugged in on the left side and the eight pin power slot on the GPU only has six pins plugged into it. Could this be causing the shutdowns and do I have to get a new power supply?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, that could cause the problems you're describing.

The 4pin in an 8pin for the CPU would probably be ok - but 6pin to the GPU requiring 8pins is a problem (a 6pin is rated for 75W, an 8 pin = 150W).

This PSU is not capable for the rig you're attempting to run.