[SOLVED] Computer shuts off while gaming, won't turn back on.

MarkJohnson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
My PC shuts off after about 20 minutes of gaming. But only on my Subnautica game. It makes a click sound and everything turns off, no lights on anywhere on my PC. I hit the power button and it won't turn on. I turn off the power supply and turn it on again, then it fires back up.

It started when I replaced my 4k 60 Hz monitor with a 1440p 144Hz monitor.

I think maybe it overloaded my PSU? How can I test my PSU? It is a Seasonic X650 80-Plus Gold rated PSU. I bought it in 2013 iirc.

Is it just wearing out. It seems like it should have plenty of power for it.

My rig:

AMD Ryzen R5 1600 (stock, with watercooling)
Asus Prime X470-Pro MB
Dell Vega 64 8GB (stock with watercooling looped with CPU)
PSU Seasonic X650 650 watt 80 Plus Gold rated.
16 GB Corsair RGB 3.200 Mhz RAM.
EK Water cooling kit (A240R)

Temps mever git 60C at all. Usually low 50C even with Prime 95 and other CPU/GPU benchmarks.

Solution
Oddly enough I did respond to this I thought but I had siome internet troubles that day and it would seem I didn't end up posting anything at all! Sorry my friend!

Well more than likely, as the X series is discontinued, it has a 7 year warranty but is no longer made, so it was an old platform they kept going for a while, ultimately all PSUs have a shelf life!

There could have well been a threshold, however I'd be surprised if your system ever went over 600W. I would sooner suggest high loads have just brought the unit to the end of it's life. Benefit is the Prime Ultra is an excellent PSU with 12 years of warranty.

Either way, I'm glad your problem appears to have disappeared, but yes, every PSU has a shelf life, and I suspect with...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Depending on where the click is coming from, it certainly could be the power supply.
Is the click present every time? If so, find out where it is coming from.

have you tried running without the discrete GPU and see if the issue repeats?
Are those temperatures both GPU AND CPU temps?
Can you post a screenshot of reliability history?

MarkJohnson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
It's hard to tell where the clicking noise is coming from.

Yes, both CPU and GPU temps stay below 60C at all times. Maybe throttling?

I don't know what you mean of reliability history.

I did lower the graphics quaility settings in game for Subnautica and it hasn't crashed since.

I do notice the power meter on the side on the GPU don't go to the eith bar anymore. Not it bounces around bars 5 and 6.

So it seems to be using less power now.

My assumption was the clicking being from the PSU as it won't turn on again until I reset the PSU.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes, both CPU and GPU temps stay below 60C at all times. Maybe throttling?
60 degrees is nothing to be concerned about.

I don't know what you mean of reliability history.
It's a windows program. Start > Reliability History
Gives a bit of a clearer concept around/similar to the event viewer events.

My assumption was the clicking being from the PSU as it won't turn on again until I reset the PSU.
I would also suspect the PSU based on what you have described, how long have you had the PSU?
You may want to download HWInfo and see if there is anything obviously abnormal with the 12, 3.3, and 5V rails under load.

MarkJohnson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
60 degrees is nothing to be concerned about.

I wasn't. lol That's why I figure it has to be PSU or GPU. But PSU is clicking, so I tend to vote PSU.

It's a windows program. Start > Reliability History
Gives a bit of a clearer concept around/similar to the event viewer events.

Did you need this info?

It just show the things happening I already know about. I don't know how to read logs. so it's of no use for me.

I would also suspect the PSU based on what you have described, how long have you had the PSU?

I bught it in 2013. so it's still under the 7-year warranty. But I'm not sure that it's a sure way to tell if PSU is bad.

You may want to download HWInfo and see if there is anything obviously abnormal with the 12, 3.3, and 5V rails under load.

They fluctuate a little, but nothing drastic.

12v: Min:11.968 and max. 12.164
5v: Min. 4.960 and max. 5.014
3.3v: Min. 3.292 and max 3.335

MarkJohnson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I got my Seasonic 750W Prime Ultra 80-Plus Platinum PSU Sunday and no issues so far. I even ran both Subnautica and Cities: Skylines on max settings and no issues. I even ran them both at once.

I was monitoring Subnautica power usage and it was a bit higher this time, I seen it peak at 597 watts on my CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS. It used to peak around 525 watts.

Same with average being around 300 watts, but now closer to 350 watts.

Not sure if there is anything wrong with my X650 Gold. It seems to work, maybe it spiked at the threshold and shut itself off?

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oddly enough I did respond to this I thought but I had siome internet troubles that day and it would seem I didn't end up posting anything at all! Sorry my friend!

Well more than likely, as the X series is discontinued, it has a 7 year warranty but is no longer made, so it was an old platform they kept going for a while, ultimately all PSUs have a shelf life!

There could have well been a threshold, however I'd be surprised if your system ever went over 600W. I would sooner suggest high loads have just brought the unit to the end of it's life. Benefit is the Prime Ultra is an excellent PSU with 12 years of warranty.

Either way, I'm glad your problem appears to have disappeared, but yes, every PSU has a shelf life, and I suspect with the age of the X series, that's all that's happened here.

Solution

MarkJohnson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Just an update. Still no issues. I was helping someone else in the Subnautica forums with similar issues, then he said he had a Vega 64 GPU, so I linked him to the other thread here from Johnny Guru and the poor power regulation of the vega 64.

But I wanted to update the thread to let everyone know all is fine after almost a full year.

Reactions: Liquidignition

Liquidignition

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Soo. I too am playing subnautica and this issue has been happening to me aswell, usually after 2hrs of playtime. Even with the clicking sound. I was thinking it might be my PSU and you have just confirmed that this might be the case. Thankyou very much for replying with your solution. I've read through so many forums and yours has given the confidence to get a new PSU tomorrow, mines about 6 years old. So thankyou.