[SOLVED] Computer shutting down by itself and has trouble booting back up, and boots after multiple cycles.

May 17, 2021
Hello

So I've been having problems with my computer.
It existed around 4 months ago but it would have trouble booting up.
It would sometimes turn on, boot, fans would spin for few seconds, I'd hear a click and then it would power off. After a few seconds, it would try to turn itself back on again and after a few cycles, it would do so successfully.

Now, recently I replaced my SSD, and for a few days, it's been amazing.
However, as of yesterday, my computer is randomly shutting down.
As t o the nature of when it shutsdown, it's very random. Sometimes in the middle of gaming, sometimes when I'm just working away on my computer under low load.
On top of that, it's also having more trouble booting up, with the previous aforementioned problem happening for a while.
If it does boot, it will function for 1hour to 5-6 hours before powering off again by itself.

Steps I took.
1. I tried looking at event viewer and it says:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (DONGHYUN-PC) has initiated the power off of computer DONGHYUN-PC on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Shutdown Type: power off
Comment:

Not much to go off of there.

2. I tried cleaning and replugging in every component.
Dusted off all the dust using a pressurized air canister and reapplied the thermal compound

Still having boot issues

3. I checked to see if fans are running
All fans are running except for my EVGA 1070 fan which doesnt run unless its under high load
Fans seem to be okay

4. I used OCCT to check for core temperature
Core temperature for GPU and CPU all hovering around 39-45 degrees
Voltages seem to correspond correctly I think?

Voltages according to OCCT are

+5v = 5.120v
+3.3v = 3.344v
+12v = 12.144 V
PCH 1.05V = 1.064v

I'm so confused as to what's going on and why i'm having this problem or what else I could do to diagnose it.
I feel like it might be the PSU but not sure at all...
please help!

My specs:

Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 (owned for 9 years)
GPU: EVGA 1070ti (owned for 3 years)
CPU: Intel i5-4670k (owned for 9 years)
PSU: Corsair HX850 (owned for 9 years)
Storage: Samsung 860EVO 1TB
Memory: 2 x 8GB vengenance

Last edited:
May 17, 2021
Sounds like that 9 year old PSU is getting weak. No surprise there. Try another PSU and consider a new build if that fails.
Thank you for the response.
Is there a way that I could confirm that it's the PSU being the issue?
I do love the Corsair HX series and would want to get something to that degree but it's slightly pricey part to pick up.

I do remember reading somewhere that HX850 can last into double digits easily as its extremely durable so wondering if it could be anything else but I agree that i'm leaning towards the PSU.

TRENDING THREADS