Question Computer shutting down on it's own ?

Feb 21, 2021
So roughly 3-4 days ago I was playing some games (apex legends, world of warcraft). Mid session my computer shut down on it's own. No BSOD, just complete power off and then it restarted on it's own after about 30s-1min. I checked the event viewer and the listed error was EventID:6008. Quick google search said that it's either a part overheating or possibly a faulty hardware. So I ran some stress tests on GPU/CPU but temps seemed normal and it didn't shut off my pc. Checked my fans to make sure they are all working. The only thing left that I can really think of is maybe the PSU might be faulty? It runs fine sometimes, even going for 3-4 hrs without any issues. Then other times it will shut off after only 5-10 mins of loading up a game. Anyone else had a similar issue? Been googling to try and figure something out before I go and buy a brand new PSU as I'm still not 100% certain that this will fix the issue.

EDIT for more info:
PC SPECS
CPU: Intel i7-10700KF 8 core processor
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi ATX Gaming motherboard
MEMORY: 4x 8GB T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3200
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1070
COOLING: Coolermaster Hyper 212
PSU: EVGA 650w G3 80plus gold fully modular power supply
STORAGE:2x 1TB samsung 870 evo SSD, 1x 256GB samsung 870 evo SSD

Any tips/thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2783327

I had a similar issue not long ago. Turned out to be the GPU. Replaced the GTX 980 Ti and all was good. Not saying that is definitely your problem, but perhaps worth checking?

Feb 21, 2021
I had a similar issue not long ago. Turned out to be the GPU. Replaced the GTX 980 Ti and all was good. Not saying that is definitely your problem, but perhaps worth checking?
Hmm, not sure what to test on it. I have MSI afterburner installed and I monitored temps and it seemed normal. Also ran a stress test on it for 12 mins and didn't have a single crash. It has crossed my mind though.

D

Deleted member 2783327

My son would go into DOTA 2. If he dropped to the dashboard the PC would shut down. If he played a game, then after winning or losing when the game when back to the lobby it would shut down. He runs Runescape, watches twitch and listens to you tube at the same time. I put the GTX 980 Ti into my test PC and could replicate the issue.

We initially thought PSU too.

Anyway, after cleaning the GPU and reapplying the thermal paste I could get the games to keep going but there were artifacts on the screen. Put my Test PCs 2070S in his PC and there were no more issues. SO I thought that might be the same thing you are experiencing. Hopefully not because no one wants to be buying a GPU right now.

Feb 21, 2021
My son would go into DOTA 2. If he dropped to the dashboard the PC would shut down. If he played a game, then after winning or losing when the game when back to the lobby it would shut down. He runs Runescape, watches twitch and listens to you tube at the same time. I put the GTX 980 Ti into my test PC and could replicate the issue.

We initially thought PSU too.

Anyway, after cleaning the GPU and reapplying the thermal paste I could get the games to keep going but there were artifacts on the screen. Put my Test PCs 2070S in his PC and there were no more issues. SO I thought that might be the same thing you are experiencing. Hopefully not because no one wants to be buying a GPU right now.
ah I don't have a test pc so not sure what to do really :/

TRENDING THREADS