Question Computer shutting down- only triggered by certain games

Oct 16, 2019
Hey! I recently got a new computer, (2 months ago, through cyberpowerpc)

Slowly, over the course of about 90 days the graphics card became more and more erratic and it was determined to be faulty, I got a replacement in and I'm no longer getting the artifacting issues I was before...however...

When I play certain games (Planet Zoo and Divinity: Original Sin 2 specifically) after 10-15 minutes (even just on the menus!) my computer will just shut down and refuse to turn back on unless I unplug it first. I get no error/BSOD and I can see nothing in the event logs except an unexpected shut down.

Other intensive (in other ways) games such as modded minecraft and surviving mars work perfectly fine with no issues. I've monitored the internal temperatures and that doesn't seem to be the issue.

(If its relevant, I used a gpu from my old pc for a while as I was waiting for the replacement to arrive)

Here's the details on my system;
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • RAM: 32GB (16GBx2) Corsair Vengeance
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming AM4 ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, Realtek LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz [4.2GHz Turbo] 6 Cores/ 12 Threads 35MB Cache 65W Processor
  • PSU: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB GDDR5 Video Card
Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Ralston18

Titan
You have two different paths available:

1) Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond to the times of the shut downs. Reliability History is more user friendly and would be a good starting point. And, for either one you can right click an entry to obtain more detailed information.

2) Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance while the system idles, while doing light work/browsing, and then while gaming. Use only one or the other and be deliberate and methodical as you test and watch. [Note: Microsoft also offers a third tool, Process Explorer, to help take a closer look at what the system is doing. You may need to download Process Explorer via Microsoft's website.]

See what you can find but do not immediately react to anything you discover. Do some research first. Key is to find some consensus with respect to the both problem and then potential fixes.

Avoid any software downloads that claim they will fix the problem. Some of those products will show up no matter what the issue may truly be.

Oct 16, 2019
Digging through both Reliability history and Event Viewer showed nothing that I could connect to the shut down issue. The only error in the relevant timeframe is unexpected shut down.
I tracked my performance info through Task Manager and Resource Monitor, usage for CPU & GPU capped at 20% / 60% respectively and fluctuated normally as I played some DSO2 - until suddenly, with no visible spike or trigger, it shut off after 40 minutes.

I even tried a clean install of drivers. I'm at a loss, honestly.