[SOLVED] Computer shutting down randomly during games and won't turn back on for a while. I cant figure out what is wrong.

Aug 21, 2020
My PC is about 7 months old at the time of this post and my PC has started to act up quite frequently when I play games. The issue started a few days ago when I kicked the switch on the power outlet extension effectively shutting down my computer. It wouldn't turn on for a while after and I freaked out thinking I must've fried the PSU or something. This is the first PC I've built myself so I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

My Specs:
MoBo: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 along with the stock fan that came with it
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING X
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB DDR4 3200
Case: Rosewill PRISM S ATX Mid Tower Case

My PC tends to shut off completely often when playing games about a few minutes into the game. I've experienced it in games like Valorant, Overwatch, CSGO, etc. Whenever this happens, my computer will refuse to turn on for quite a while. Any attempt to turn it on will either give no response or the case fans will flash on for a split second. The PC will also refuse to turn on or start again when put to sleep or shut down, even when no games have been played and the computer had been idling.

I thought it was an overheating problem at first, so I disassembled my PC, went at it crazy with a can of compressed air and replaced the thermal paste between the stock cooler heat sink and CPU. After all the effort to try fixing it the problem still persists.

I've also reset my PC, reset BIOS settings, reinstalled drivers and changed power plans, but nothing has helped and it is driving me crazy.

Last edited:
Solution
Get a new psu.
When you mention, "the PC refuses to turn on for some time", that's a symptom of overheating power supply.
Either the fan has failed, or you've mistakenly sealed off the intake.

novathunder

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My PC tends to shut off completely often when playing games about a few minutes into the game. I've experienced it in games like Valorant, Overwatch, CSGO, etc. Whenever this happens, my computer will refuse to turn on for quite a while. Any attempt to turn it on will either give no response or the case fans will flash on for a split second. The PC will also refuse to turn on or start again when put to sleep or shut down, even when no games have been played and the computer had been idling.

Looks like an overheating issue. You should check temps in software of your choice. CPU shouldn't ever go over 95°C. I recommend HWMonitor, it monitors voltages, fan speeds, temperatures.

Aug 21, 2020
Looks like an overheating issue. You should check temps in software of your choice. CPU shouldn't ever go over 95°C. I recommend HWMonitor, it monitors voltages, fan speeds, temperatures.

After taking your advice, I tried both HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner and immediately noticed that the temps of my CPU are a little high (65-70 C on Idle and ~80 C when on games before suddenly shutting down). The GPU temps looked fine.

Another thing I noticed and was a little concerned about was that the usage of my CPU during games was way high while my GPU usage was hanging down low. When I was testing my PC using the Hitman 2 built in benchmarking, I noticed that my GPU wasn't going any higher than 30% while my CPU usage was rising, almost hitting 80% before my computer shut down. Can bottle-necking be the cause of these temperatures?

After taking your advice, I tried both HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner and immediately noticed that the temps of my CPU are a little high (65-70 C on Idle and ~80 C when on games before suddenly shutting down). The GPU temps looked fine.

Another thing I noticed and was a little concerned about was that the usage of my CPU during games was way high while my GPU usage was hanging down low. When I was testing my PC using the Hitman 2 built in benchmarking, I noticed that my GPU wasn't going any higher than 30% while my CPU usage was rising, almost hitting 80% before my computer shut down. Can bottle-necking be the cause of these temperatures?
70c on idle is a problem. Re-seat CPU cooler after cleaning off old paste and replacing. Make sure CPU cooler fan is spinning.

What is the arrangement of case fans?

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
Last edited: