Computer shutting down randomly, no blue screen

mclintock

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Hello,

I recently bought a used GTX 970 to upgrade my computer with (I previously had a GT 740), and since I got that, I also had to upgrade my power supply to accommodate for it. I bought an Insignia 550W. Yesterday, my computer shut down quite randomly at one point, I wasn't sure what to think of it, so I decided to ignore it unless it happened again. It has happened again. Today, several times, it has shut down at random points, It was never under any severe load when it happened. One time it happened when I just had a pdf viewer and my browser open. Then it automatically restarted, and a few times it has crashed in the process of restarting (once while I was in the mobo boot menu). It seems to be an overheating issue, but I'm not sure how to properly diagnose it. The PSU works... Until it doesn't it seems, but it is less than two weeks old. I've read that it could be the CPU, and the CPU is several years old (it's an i3 4150). It took me several tries, but I was able to get to the event viewer briefly, and saw something about a kernel power failure before it crashed on me again. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Spontaneous reboots are usually caused by unstable power.

That Insignia 550W ATX12V 2.4 (NS-PCW5508) power supply is made by Huntkey. It's not a PSU I would ever trust using in my system.

Have you measured the PSU's voltages to see if they always stay within ATX12V specifications?

mclintock

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015

It straight up will not start now. That sounds like the PSU, doesn't it?

Spontaneous reboots are usually caused by unstable power.

That Insignia 550W ATX12V 2.4 (NS-PCW5508) power supply is made by Huntkey. It's not a PSU I would ever trust using in my system.

Have you measured the PSU's voltages to see if they always stay within ATX12V specifications?

Solution

bignastyid

Titan

Yes. Do you still have your old PSU? What are the rest of the systems specs?