Computer shutting down then rebooting when playing graphically intensive games.

TheDirtySpaceman

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
Hello I understand that this question has been asked before however none of the ways to fix this issue have helped me in the slightest, such as cpu temperature, My computer was running at 100 degrees Celsius so I went to the store got a new fan and now its running at 30 degrees when just browsing the web and it sits around 63 degrees when playing games yet I am still getting random reboots, next up was the psu they said anything under 80 plus should be thrown away and to check if there is enough wattage for you computer, mine however is fatality 1000w 80plus gold champion 1 series so I feel like its not my psu, after that it was hard to find any information besides a few odd ball comments about updating drivers so I updated everything I could from windows updates to amd drivers but still I am having random reboots.

All I can think of is doing a bios flash to the newest version however I don't think that's necessary yet, the game it crashes on is CS:GO and I can play hearthstone perfectly fine it has also crashed while I was editing a video and watching a tv show with random tabs open along with Skype so it sounds like it just reboots whenever its stressed.

COMPUTER SPECS:

CPU / processor = intel core i5 -4690K 3.50 GHz

CPU / processor fan = cooler master hyper T2

motherboard = gigabyte z97MX-gaming 5

ram = Amd black edition patriot G2 memory

GPU / Graphics card = XFX radeon R9280x double Dissipation

psu / power supply = fatality 1000w 80plus gold champion 1 series

storage = no idea, it was from my old computer that was bought for me when I was younger so i kept it. however there is still 519 gigs left of space
so i don't imagine that the storage is the problem.

P.S. If anyone finds one of my parts to be old/ out of date or just easily upgraded for cheap then let me know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Update~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so long story shot i flashed my bios, bricked my motherboard, bought a new one, Asus z97-A.

Now since the new mother board anytime i play graphically intensive games my computer no longer shuts down and reboots HOWEVER now it just shut the whole game down or crates a black screen with and audio loop until I close the program, after a few more threads I found Furmark a Gpu stress test, and upon doing the test my computer shut down and rebooted its self, after that I swapped out my graphics card with my old one everything was smooth and then the game closed its self no errors or anything.

i'm gonna run more stress tests to see if i just did it wrong along with if i can find a Cpu stress test as well I will update with results soon.

Oli_The_Anarchist

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
hmm this seems like one hell of a problem! how did you manage to brick your board?! the first think I would have suggested is PSU but if it is not PSU or gpu or mobo you could have problems with you ram try doing a mem test and see what happens, I don't know what amd ram is like with intel CPU I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference I remember reading that the amd ram is optimized for amd chips however it would still work with intel, anyway went off a bit there, try a mem test and see if that pulls anything up? also do a good lenghty stress test on your CPU as you may have problems with that, but all I can think is either RAM or CPU

TheDirtySpaceman

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015

I did a bunch of tests which were windows memory diagnostic, prime95, furmark, chkdsk along with tuning my gpu and cpu fans on full blast.

prime95 tests resulted in BSOD (i tested twice just to see if bsod would happen again) which the first was saying that software/hardware was installed improperly try disabling bios caching/shadowing and the next BSOD said driver_irql_not_less_or_equal which one of the reasons this bsod appears is because of ram improperly installed so I ran a windows memory diagnostic and that came back with nothing, everything was fine then i decided to run a chkdsk/F which also came back with nothing, the furmark stress test shows that every resolution below 1280/720 works fine but 1280/720 and above shutdown the computer and reboots, I got some note pad files from prime95 with a bunch of values in it but i don't know what they mean,

notepad labeled prime:

V24OptionsConverted=1
WGUID_version=2
StressTester=1
UsePrimenet=0
MinTortureFFT=128
MaxTortureFFT=1024
TortureMem=8
TortureTime=3

[PrimeNet]
Debug=0

note pad labeled local:

OldCpuSpeed=3441
NewCpuSpeedCount=0
NewCpuSpeed=0
RollingAverage=1000
RollingAverageIsFromV27=1
ComputerGUID=4405517dfaef57d69e8cef3eed81a327
RollingStartTime=0

I am getting a bsod that says cache_manager, improperly installed software/hardware try disabling bios caching/shadowing when I do multiple things on the computer now like playing hearthstone/browsing internet.

I don't really understand what could be the problem at this point because this is not a computer I just built I have had the rig for more then a year now and what I thought was the stock cooler wearing out and getting an over heating processor is turning into a mess, right now i'm trying to search my bios to disable the cache/shadowing cause maybe the cpu is just stuck getting old information when it crashed the first time.

KingDingDong

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
You used your old hard drive, did you reinstall Windows or just use your installation from the old PC? If you did use the pre-existing installation there is your likely problem.

Try this. Clear the CMOS. Look in MB manual for specific instructions but probably involves removing batter for 30 seconds and moving a jumper.

Do a clean windows install and then immediately install all drivers and then windows updates. Eliminate software as the problem.

If you have the HDD space make frequent image backups of your installation with Easus backup program (free) and make a rescue disc.

TheDirtySpaceman

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015

No I did a clean sweep of everything in my hard drive and had to reinstall windows along with everything else, and i really don't think its a software problem i have been looking into prime95 a lot because it tests the CPU and if you get a BSOD when using prime95 they said that its definitely a hardware issue not to mention nothing else has changed in my computer in over a year except my CPU overheating.

right now im trying to see if my buddys will let me put my cpu into their computers to test.