Aug 23, 2020
Hello, About 3 years ago, I bought a Zotac ZBOX Magnus EN1070 as my main computer for school work and gaming, as I often travelled overseas.
Just about 6 months ago, my computer started shutting down on certain games. There's a red light on the front of the computer case thats lit when it's receiving power.
But whenever the games shut down my computer, this light is off. I have to unplug my power brick, and replug it around 30 seconds later.

I've tried cleaning out the computer with compressed air to no avail.

It started to annoy me, so I opened MSI Afterburner and ran the games that shut down my computer and turns out that the GPU was maxing out at around 82 to 83C about 3 mins into playing "The Forest" and then it shut down. I booted her up again and ran Rainbow 6 Siege. The GPU temperature for R6 was consistently around 82C and wasn't shutting down at all. I could play for hours and it wouldn't shut down.

I contacted Zotac Support and they said the max temperature for the GPU is 94C. I also looked on other forums and they say that it could be a failing PSU. And a lot of the symptoms point towards it. But, when I changed the fan curve so that at around 70C+ the fan speed is 100%, the games that once shut down my computer run fine (most I've tested is about half an hour). The temperature of the GPU after increasing fan speed. While playing The Forest was hovering consistently at around 71C.

So I technically covered up the issue rather than fixing it.

What could be the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's some basic specs for my computer for those who don't want to look up the specifics.

CPU: Intel Skylake i5-6400T 2.2GHz (2.5GHz Turbo)
GPU: NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1070 (laptop class)
RAM: 16GB (Upgraded from 8GB)

Storage:
1 x 128GB M.2 SSD,
1 x 1TB HDD,
1 x 500GB External SSD

Last edited:
Solution
Is it possible to check if the psu fan is running? If it has died, it wouldn't be unusual for the psu to coincidentally shut off in those same 'heavy' games.
83C isn't the critical limit/shut down temp for a 1070, 92C is.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Hello, About 3 years ago, I bought a Zotac ZBOX Magnus EN1070 as my main computer for school work and gaming, as I often travelled overseas.
Just about 6 months ago, my computer started shutting down on certain games. There's a red light on the front of the computer case thats lit when it's receiving power.
But whenever the games shut down my computer, this light is off. I have to unplug my power brick, and replug it around 30 seconds later.

It started to annoy me, so I opened MSI Afterburner and ran the games that shut down my computer and turns out that the GPU was maxing out at around 82 to 83C about 3 mins into playing "The Forest" and then it shut down. I booted her up again and ran Rainbow 6 Siege. The GPU temperature for R6 was consistently around 82C and wasn't shutting down at all. I could play for hours and it wouldn't shut down.

I contacted Zotac Support and they said the max temperature for the GPU is 94C. I also looked on other forums and they say that it could be a failing PSU. And a lot of the symptoms point towards it. But, when I changed the fan curve so that at around 70C+ the fan speed is 100%, the games that once shut down my computer run fine (most I've tested is about half an hour). The temperature of the GPU after increasing fan speed. While playing The Forest was hovering consistently at around 71C.

Here's some basic specs for my computer for those who don't want to look up the specifics.

Storage:
1 x 128GB M.2 SSD,
1 x 1TB HDD,
1 x 500GB External SSD
You don't have any issues Even 90 c is fine on a GPU especially a laptop also if you want things to be a little cooler you can set a fan curve in MSI after burner and set the fan to spin at 100% when the tempsz reach 70C. 😆⛹️🧑‍🚀

Aug 23, 2020
You don't have any issues Even 90 c is fine on a GPU especially a laptop also if you want things to be a little cooler you can set a fan curve in MSI after burner and set the fan to spin at 100% when the tempsz reach 70C. 😆⛹🧑‍🚀

The computer shouldn't be shutting down when the GPU is 82C. I've already tinkered with the fan speed so that it does what you said, but I want to try and figure out what the problem is. That's why I came here. Thanks

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is it possible to check if the psu fan is running? If it has died, it wouldn't be unusual for the psu to coincidentally shut off in those same 'heavy' games.
83C isn't the critical limit/shut down temp for a 1070, 92C is.

Solution
Oct 13, 2022

Storage:
1 x 128GB M.2 SSD,
1 x 1TB HDD,
1 x 500GB External SSD
Hey man, I see the topic is two years old, but I ran into the same problem. Did you figure out what the issue was?
I have Zotac EN1070 with Core i7 and it recently started shutting off without showing the light until I unplug the PSU.
I see the thread shows "sold", but the so-called "solution" to check the fan is total crap, since the PSU for this mini PC doesn't have the fan at all :D.
I was searching the web in hopes to find a solution, whether I need to replace my PSU or look elsewhere.
I have also recently replaced the thermal compound so the temperature is typically 78-83 c.

Thanks