Question Computer Shutting Down While Playing Demanding Games

nasim8215

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2016
Hello, I posted a question here a while back and got an answer that helped me. I was hoping this community could aid me once more.

So my friend's computer is suffering from shutdowns whenever playing something demanding and recent, such as Overwatch 2 and Sea of Thieves. However, his computer does not shut down when playing older games such as GTA V or Fallout New Vegas. His computer also does not post any bluescreen or event log errors, aside from the event log stating the computer shut down unexpectedly at 5:00 PM, etc. The log does not state why the computer shut down either.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: XFX Fatboy RX590
PSU: Cooler Master 650 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2x8)
MOBO: Gigabyte B450M DS3H

What we did so far was:
  • Switched out the power supply for a new one
  • Switched out RAM and tested each stick, which had no errors
  • A clean wipe of the hard drive and reinstalling Windows 10 on the formatted drive (There were some errors regarding activation, so we did this as a precaution, yet the shutdowns still happen.)
What we didn't do:
  • Switch out the processor (The idle and under load temperatures are optimal for a Ryzen 5 2600, 45, and 70 celsius, respectively.)
  • Switch out the graphics card (While playing demanding games, there were no dips in frames or deprecated performance, and temperature is expected from an XFX Fatboy RX 590 while under load, which is 85 celsius.)
  • A complete hard drive disk test
One thing to note is that the computer has no hot components when turned off, so we feel it is unlikely to be overheating. Still, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: The shutdowns happen after around 30 minutes of playing and gives no warning signs when it happens.

Last edited:

nasim8215

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2016
I mean it only takes a few minutes to flash a BIOS.

What exact model of PSU?
This is the power supply being used currently. The previous power supply didn't help with the issue. So it's unlikely that it is a power supply problem.

Cooler Master Watt 650 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply for Computers https://a.co/d/e6Bd0wm

In other words, I thought it was a power supply problem so we decided to replace it with the Cooler Master psu but nothing was fixed.

Reactions: drivinfast247

TRENDING THREADS