[SOLVED] Computer shutting down while playing, might need new PSU

Weskild

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
Hi all

In the past few hours my computer has shut down after playing about 10 mins of FFXIV, then after shutting down it tries to boot back up only to shut down once more pretty much inmediately. So far it has happened three times, before the last time I was keeping an eye on the temperature and everything was in the normal ranges which makes me think that it's the PSU that's failing. I've had this computer for a while and have been slowly upgrading it as I'm able to afford it. What I have right now is:

CPU: Intel Core I5-8600 with stock cooler
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
RAM: 2 4GB DDR4 3200ghz, I should be changing those to 2 8GB DDR4 3200ghz today
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 Aourus Gaming 3
PSU: Coolermaster 700w RS-700-PCAA-E3
(Nothing overclocked)

I've had that PSU for about 10 years now and the last change I did to the computer hardware wise was about a year ago when I got the GPU and motherboard.

My question is to get other opinions on if it's the PSU failing and how to check and suggestions on what other one I can buy that would fit my system. Keep in mind as well that I live in Argentina so availabilty might not be guaranteed as well as everything has a higher price

Solution
The 650w GQ would be a good option. The 550w G3 is fine too, but the GQ might allow you more room for expansion and may have a slightly less aggressive fan profile. Either of them are miles better than most of what is available down there.

Is that through a local shop or some online vendor that is available in Argentina?

The reason I ask is because I have another member from Argentina I'm helping and if you know where the G3 and GQ are available, it might be helpful for them as well.
Yes, replace the PSU. It is clearly the MOST obvious and probable cause not only of your specific symptoms, but those KINDS of symptoms in general. The fact that it's ten years old, which is about five to six years past the point at which it probably SHOULD have been replaced, just makes it even more likely.

I'd recommend a high quality unit, which that one never was even when new, (Yes, review is for 600w but same internal platform, so pretty bad)

in the 550-650w range depending on whether your are overclocking anything or not, and whether you are running a lot of additional hardware such as many case fans, lighting, lots of drives, etc.

Weskild

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
in the 550-650w range depending on whether your are overclocking anything or not, and whether you are running a lot of additional hardware such as many case fans, lighting, lots of drives, etc.

Thanks for the fast reply! I'm not going to be overclocking anything really, and as far as extra stuff there isn't much I'm running. Two case fans, two drives and lights are just on the fans, the motherboard and KB&M.

I browsed through the post you linked to see the different brands and models, pretty much the only good brand available here is EVGA. One I found is the Evga GD 550w 80plus gold that I can buy but didn't find that specific model in the list, one odd thing I found as well is that the box picture shows GS while the picture of the PSU itself says GD. I also saw the EVGA Supernova G3 550w 80+for roughly $20 more, should I get that instead?

The G3 550w would be a better choice than the GS or GD from what I gather, but since there are no reviews of these GD and GS units, and since they were primarily released for the Asian market, it's really tough to say whether they are any good or not for certain. My gut tells me that based on most of the other releases from EVGA in that price range are very bottom end of mediocre, that they are not very worthy. The fact that the newer G5 units are completely farmed out by Super Flower to an inferior manufacturer, tells me that even more loudly.

For EVGA, until something concrete comes along in the form of a review, I would 100% stick to the B2 (If you can find one), G2, G3, GQ, P2 and T2 units. In non US markets you might do well simply looking for Super Flower models, since they build all of the good EVGA units anyhow but can usually be had for less than EVGA units in countries that have them. The Golden green, Leadex, Leadex II and Leadex III units are recommendable.

What country are you actually in?

Weskild

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
What country are you actually in?
I live in Argentina

For EVGA, until something concrete comes along in the form of a review, I would 100% stick to the B2 (If you can find one), G2, G3, GQ, P2 and T2 units. In non US markets you might do well simply looking for Super Flower models, since they build all of the good EVGA units anyhow but can usually be had for less than EVGA units in countries that have them. The Golden green, Leadex, Leadex II and Leadex III units are recommendable.

I can't seem to find any model from Super Flower here without having to import it. As far as EVGA goes the ones I'm finding are either B1, W1. Then there's the 550 G3 and the 650 GQ that go for about the same price.

Other than that is other brands and thermaltake/coolermaster that take the majority of sales I find.

The 650w GQ would be a good option. The 550w G3 is fine too, but the GQ might allow you more room for expansion and may have a slightly less aggressive fan profile. Either of them are miles better than most of what is available down there.

Is that through a local shop or some online vendor that is available in Argentina?

The reason I ask is because I have another member from Argentina I'm helping and if you know where the G3 and GQ are available, it might be helpful for them as well.

Solution

Weskild

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017

Thanks! I'll likely go for the GQ then.

I found them in an online store, it's basically a hub for a few stores that sell compenents. Mind you I've never bought from a few of these stores so can't guarantee that the stores are good. But it's where I found these that didn't show up on mercadolibre which is the main website for buying and selling.

https://www.hardgamers.com.ar/search?text=fuente&page=4&limit=18&brand=evga&province=