[SOLVED] Computer "Shutting down" with full fan speed

daonest

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Weird issue, it just started happening more often recently... First 2 weeks ago but now its about every day or every other day. Usually happens when im in a game Ill be playing and suddenly the displays turn off and fans running full speed but the PC itself is unresponsive so I have to manually shut the PC Down.

I am guessing it is an PSU issue where its a bit old as I had this one for at least 3-4 years it is a 1000w, I had already ordered a new PSU but my concern is if its not the PSU and something else like the graphics card... Anyone have any insight on this type of issue?

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/17/2020, 09:31:59

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7693
BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/16/14 09:50:52 Ver: 04.06.05 (type: BIOS)
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16172MB RAM
Page File: 15617MB used, 18986MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: Unknown
DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

Solution
Not shutting down completely makes me think it's not psu. Would like to know maker+model though.

Other parts could be motherboard and gpu where motherboard seems more likely from what i've read. Also would like to know which one since "System Model: MS-7693" gives many options.

If the pc works could you do the next, maybe it gives more info,
Sorry for the late reply its the MSI gaming 970 motherboard...

Anyway i forgot to update the thread but I did purchase a replacement PSU downgraded to a 750w psu from the old one was 1000w... Probably overkill with that last one anyway... But so far so good I havent had the issue of PC stopping in middle of games and turning off the display and full fan speeds... It has been just about...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Not shutting down completely makes me think it's not psu. Would like to know maker+model though.

Other parts could be motherboard and gpu where motherboard seems more likely from what i've read. Also would like to know which one since "System Model: MS-7693" gives many options.

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

daonest

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008

Sorry for the late reply its the MSI gaming 970 motherboard...

Anyway i forgot to update the thread but I did purchase a replacement PSU downgraded to a 750w psu from the old one was 1000w... Probably overkill with that last one anyway... But so far so good I havent had the issue of PC stopping in middle of games and turning off the display and full fan speeds... It has been just about 4-5 days. Funny thing is one day before I put in the new PSU was also starting to think maybe its not a problem anymore because 2-3 days passed and it didnt happen, then right that night it did it again. Anyway so far havent had issues since i replaced it.

The reason i was thinking it was the PSU is just because it was a bit old maybe 4 years also it was raidmax which is known to be questionable... But 4 year heavy usage i was happy with it.

Solution

daonest

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Well hope that the new psu does the trick.

Yes Raidmax isn't the best name when it comes to psu's ( and probably other parts as well). What is you new psu?
Yeah by now it is probably the PSU was the culprit because still havent seen the issue since I changed it. The one I replaced it with is Thermaltake 750w Toughpower. Next Looking to upgrade my CPU+Mobo and already ordered a new 144mhz monitor (will be my first)

Reactions: Vic 40