[SOLVED] Computer Shutting Down With No BSOD

Dec 8, 2019
I have changed almost every component of my computer, and it continues to shut down after about an hour of use. I have changed the PSU, the motherboard, the CPU, I have reseated, unseated, and reseated everything so much I feel like I could build this thing with my eyes closed. It acts as though it's pulling too much power-the computer shuts down without a BSOD and reboots automatically as if it were an AC supply failure. It's not overheating, HWMonitor shows everything is well within it's limits and I can't detect any abnormal heat emanating from the PSU or any components themselves. Both the PSU and the motherboard are new. Also, this problem didn't start rearing it's head until I decided I wanted to upgrade my CPU. Once this problem started, I reinstalled my old CPU that I still have and it's solved nothing.

Things I have tried include: Fiddling with the RAM, taking them out one at a time to see if any of them were causing issues. Putting different ones in different slots, etc. Trying every combination of both motherboards with both CPU's I have.

If there's anything I need to post, just let me know what and I'll be here to post it. Any help is much appreciated.

Nvidia GeForce 2070 SUPER
1TB Samsung Evo SSD
1TB Western Digital Black HDD
Intel i5 8400
MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Motherboard
28 Gigs of RAM
Corsair CX750M

Solution
Man, I hope its not the PSU, i just bought it. I'll try running it without any metal contact then.
If you have taken the parts out already, before you start testing outside the case, take the CPU out of the socket and check the socket for bent pins. You will probably need to turn the board at least 4 times to get a good look.
Dec 8, 2019
It's not the plug, I've plugged it into a few different outlets. A grounding issue, that doesn't sound like something I've tried. Mind elaborating? I'm not sure if that could be the issue, as this was still happening with the previous motherboard, but it's worth an attempt.

It's not the plug, I've plugged it into a few different outlets. A grounding issue, that doesn't sound like something I've tried. Mind elaborating? I'm not sure if that could be the issue, as this was still happening with the previous motherboard, but it's worth an attempt.
If the computer or parts in the case are not properly grounded, a short or a static discharge will cause the motherboard to go into a shut down state to prevent damage.

Do you have the computer on carpet? Is the room dry?

Reactions: Theatricky
Dec 8, 2019
Nah, I keep it off the floor. I know that much, thankfully. It's on a wooden desk. It IS pretty humid here, but it survived through the summer without any issues and I haven't moved it from this spot except to change parts.

Nah, I keep it off the floor. I know that much, thankfully. It's on a wooden desk. It IS pretty humid here, but it survived through the summer without any issues and I haven't moved it from this spot except to change parts.
Ok well static discharge is unlikely to be the issue if the room is humid. The issue may just be your power supply. You could try running the parts outside the case on top of a box or some wood, so none of the parts are touching metal.

Reactions: Theatricky
Dec 8, 2019
Yeah, there is a single bent pin on the current motherboard CPU socket. Also, I'm not sure but I think I may have solved it? I went into the power management settings and switched it from high performance to balanced and it hasn't crashed since I turned it back on. It's been about two hours, and that's the farthest it's gone since this problem began. I'm going to leave it on overnight and see what happens. I'll report back in the morning. I'll kick myself if it was something that simple. If that doesn't work, I'll do what was recommended and test the parts outside of the case.

Yeah, there is a single bent pin on the current motherboard CPU socket. Also, I'm not sure but I think I may have solved it? I went into the power management settings and switched it from high performance to balanced and it hasn't crashed since I turned it back on. It's been about two hours, and that's the farthest it's gone since this problem began. I'm going to leave it on overnight and see what happens. I'll report back in the morning. I'll kick myself if it was something that simple. If that doesn't work, I'll do what was recommended and test the parts outside of the case.
Did you fix the bent pin or did you leave it? If you did fix it, that would have likely been how you fixed the issue and it probably wasn't from changing the power profile.

Dec 8, 2019
Morning! No, I did not touch the socket, I was too scared I'd mess it up and make it worse. That being said, I did wake up and the problem had seemed to go away-for now. I'm about to run some benchmarks and see if stressing my computer makes it shut down, I had also seemed to be able to trigger it that way.

Dec 8, 2019
Alright, I'm going to cautiously call the problem solved for now. I don't want to jump the shark-I do plan on trying to reinstall this new CPU I have, I did spend a lot of money on it after all-and if the problem comes back I'll be back. I much appreciate the help you gave, I guess what they say is true, the moment you ask someone else for help is the moment you fix it yourself.

Alright, I'm going to cautiously call the problem solved for now. I don't want to jump the shark-I do plan on trying to reinstall this new CPU I have, I did spend a lot of money on it after all-and if the problem comes back I'll be back. I much appreciate the help you gave, I guess what they say is true, the moment you ask someone else for help is the moment you fix it yourself.

So I've marked your thread as "Solved". Please start a new thread if you need further help with this.