Question Computer shutting off and not booting

May 6, 2020
Hi, I've kinda run out of places to go and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me understand what's happening to my pc.

TL;DR My PC keeps randomly shutting off, it killed my gpu and stick of ram, and I have no idea how to fix it.

For the last few months, my PC will randomly shut off despite not being overheated, and sometimes it won't even be while in a game. About three weeks ago it shut off and refused to boot back up, it wasn't until I took out my gpu and one stick of ram that it would actually boot. I tried the components in another PC and they didn't work, luckily my friend gave my his 1060 and I bought new ram. Randomly shut off again last week and I went through the same process of elimination that I did before, reseating components till it booted, and it wasn't until I rest the wifi pcie card that it booted. A few days ago I shut it off, forgetting somehow about the boot problems, and nothing brought it back on until I hit memory okay on my MB about 4 times. Today it shut off randomly and I can't even get it to boot with one stick of ram and no GPU, since each time it broke I fixed it a different way I have no clue what's causing the breakage. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a GTX 1060 (but had a GTX 970 when the problems began), an ASUS Maxmus VII Hero board, 16gb Corsair vengeance ram (Had gskill trident Xs when the problems began), and an I7 -4790k.

May 6, 2020
Did you try a different power supply?
I haven't, the two problems I've been lead to are its either a boot drive problem or a PSU problem but unfortunately I dont have anyone with a PSU they can lend me. I was also unable to even find a good PSU that was in stock sadly.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've not known a boot drive to kill ram and gpus... the power supply, on the other hand, can kill anything in the PC - the motherboard is the medium by which the psu can perform its executions.
Also, if the system shuts off and refuses to power on for a set period of time, then that indicates overheating psu.

May 6, 2020
I've not known a boot drive to kill ram and gpus... the power supply, on the other hand, can kill anything in the PC - the motherboard is the medium by which the psu can perform its executions.
Also, if the system shuts off and refuses to power on for a set period of time, then that indicates overheating psu.
So would you say there's anything I can do to fix my psu or is the best course to just get a new one whenever they come back in stock?