Question Computer shutting off during heavy gaming or stress tests, temperatures seem fine. PSU issue?

Aug 31, 2019
Hey all,

So I recently bought a new PC from Cyberpower PC. The computer runs completely fine during mundane tasks, and I can even plays games as long as I'm on low-mid graphical settings. However if I try to push the computer with higher settings (or run a stress test like FurMark), the computer will eventually shut off. When it does this the power button is unresponsive, and I have to flip off the PSU's power switch and flip it back to be able to boot up again.

I've monitored my temperatures during various reproductions of these shut-offs, and the CPU only gets into the 50s to low-60s C, and the GPU never goes above ~73 C. Neither should be causing a shut-off, so I suspect that the PSU is unable to handle a heavy load on it. Overclocking was by default enabled on the CPU as well, but I also disabled that and am still getting the shut-offs during heavy load.

Because of that I bought a EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold PSU so I could test with a different PSU. The PSU came with a testing pin (it clips onto the 24-pin as a ready-made 'paperclip test' of sorts), I tested the PSU by itself and it spun up the fan and purred. Glad that it seemed to be working, I installed the PSU into my system, made sure all of the cables were snugly snapped into place, but unfortunately I can't get it to boot. When I flip on the PSU switch, I see orange lights come on on the motherboard, but when I press the ON button, all of the fans momentarily spin up, but the computer doesn't boot. It seems like I'm getting power to the motherboard, but I'm not sure why it won't boot.

To make sure no components were damaged during the swap, I put back in the PSU from the original Cyberpower build, and the computer boots again. As far as I can tell the new EVGA PSU should be compatible with my motherboard, but for some reason I can't get it to boot up.

Here are my specs from the PC I purchased from Cyberpower:

CPU: Intel i7-9700K 3.60GHZ 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-P ATX w/ WiFi 802.11AC RGB, USB 3.1, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 4 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
GPU: GeForce(R) RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 (Turing)
PSU: Apevia 800W - Standard 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply
Memory: ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory
CPU fan: MasterLiquid Lite 120mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read!

Because of that I bought a EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold PSU so I could test with a different PSU. The PSU came with a testing pin (it clips onto the 24-pin as a ready-made 'paperclip test' of sorts), I tested the PSU by itself and it spun up the fan and purred. Glad that it seemed to be working, I installed the PSU into my system, made sure all of the cables were snugly snapped into place, but unfortunately I can't get it to boot. When I flip on the PSU switch, I see orange lights come on on the motherboard, but when I press the ON button, all of the fans momentarily spin up, but the computer doesn't boot. It seems like I'm getting power to the motherboard, but I'm not sure why it won't boot.

You can't use the cables from the Apevia. You have to use the cables that came with the EVGA. They are pinned differently.

Aug 31, 2019
Thanks, jonnyguru, yes I'm using the EVGA cables for all of the connections: the 24-pin to the motherboard, the 2x 4-pins for the cpu (connected to the motherboard), the 6 and 8-pin for the gpu, and the various SATA connections to my harddrives.

There was a Molex connector that was hooked up to two RGB 3-pin cables from my Liquid cooler that I wasn't able to figure out how to connect to the EVGA psu. The Apevia psu had a molex adapter that plugged into them, but I've made sure not to hook that up with my EVGA psu and just leave them unplugged. I tested that the computer booted with the Apevia psu and those two RGB connectors unplugged, and it still booted, so I assume I should be able to do the same with my EVGA.