[SOLVED] Computer shutting off. Not temps or virus.

Jan 12, 2020
i5 9600k - RTX 2060 SUPER - Z390 D - CX 750 M Corsair - 16 GBs DDR4 3000 - Windows 10 Pro x64 [No license]

Not too sure where to write this. I've followed countless guides on what to do, but nothing has fixed the issue. My system will randomly shut off (anywhere between a couple seconds, to a couple hours). The temps are all okay (38 - 42 C) and the same with the GPU. I have turned off fast start up and checked my hardware. I have done a clean reinstall of windows and still can't fix this. If anybody can tell me somewhere better / more suitable to post this, that would be great. Any info just ask.

Solution
Very common after an abnormal shutdown; power off without using windows shutdown, PSU switched off, power plug pulled, surge protector breaker tripped, etc..

Overall, being that the shutdowns appear random - and may well be, it may take some time to narrow down the culprit.

Some perfect storm.

Take a look in Task Manager > Startup. Disable any apps that you do not need or can do without for a while.

Also look for apps that you do not recognize. Google and identify, Something buggy or corrupted could have slipped in.
Jan 12, 2020
What do you mean by "No license"?

Where did you get Windows 10?

Are you seeing any error codes or warnings in Reliability History?

I downloaded the media creating tool from the official website and just haven't registered any license key yet.

The only information from the history is that it shut down unexpectedly and any extra information is just time and date. However, I have noticed that is does the shut down more frequently when playing any games, even low end games that can run on anything.

Jan 12, 2020
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Has the computer been opened for cleaning and to reseat all cards, cable connections, RAM, jumpers....?
Corsair CX 750W Modular. It is new and in good condition.

The computer was recently built and is clean with sorted cables. This is my first time making a computer and apologise for any obvious mistakes I may have made.

Ralston18

Titan
New build - all the more reason to go back and check things.

Connections are often tight and no one wants to force things.

Use a bright flashlight and even a magnifying glass to look everything over. Ensure that all card seatings and connectors are indeed fully inserted and flush (not tilted).

Unplug and re-plug even just to be sure.

Event Viewer may likewise offer error codes and warnings. However Event Viewer is not as user friendly as Reliablity History. In any case right-clicking any error should provide more information about the error.

And it is not unusual to see "Windows not properly shutdown" errors after system crashes...

Another way to take a look at things is to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (one or the other at a time) to observe system performance.

Open the Window and slide to one side. Leave open. Watch as you let the system idle, do light work/browsing, and then gaming.

Watch for bottlenecks that develop, some app taking over a resource, etc. Good chance that you will note some pre-cursor to the shutdowns.

Takes some time and effort. Be methodical about it.

Jan 12, 2020
New build - all the more reason to go back and check things.

Connections are often tight and no one wants to force things.

Use a bright flashlight and even a magnifying glass to look everything over. Ensure that all card seatings and connectors are indeed fully inserted and flush (not tilted).

Unplug and re-plug even just to be sure.

Event Viewer may likewise offer error codes and warnings. However Event Viewer is not as user friendly as Reliablity History. In any case right-clicking any error should provide more information about the error.

And it is not unusual to see "Windows not properly shutdown" errors after system crashes...

Another way to take a look at things is to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (one or the other at a time) to observe system performance.

Open the Window and slide to one side. Leave open. Watch as you let the system idle, do light work/browsing, and then gaming.

Watch for bottlenecks that develop, some app taking over a resource, etc. Good chance that you will note some pre-cursor to the shutdowns.

Takes some time and effort. Be methodical about it.

Will try these. If it helps, I have a link to the event from the event viewer. Thanks for the help so far.

Ralston18

Titan
Very common after an abnormal shutdown; power off without using windows shutdown, PSU switched off, power plug pulled, surge protector breaker tripped, etc..

Overall, being that the shutdowns appear random - and may well be, it may take some time to narrow down the culprit.

Some perfect storm.

Take a look in Task Manager > Startup. Disable any apps that you do not need or can do without for a while.

Also look for apps that you do not recognize. Google and identify, Something buggy or corrupted could have slipped in.

Solution
Jan 12, 2020

Some perfect storm.

After trying these, I found the issue was an onboard power switch on my eyboard. So far no issues after changing.