Question Computer shutting off right after switching it on

matonaku

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017
Hi

I wonder if you can help me, I am really scared.

Yesterday I was in the middle of playing a game and the computer shut down out of nowhere. After that, I tried to switch it on but it would not.
After some time it did switch on but no monitor or keyboard or mouse response. I unplugged the power cable and plugged back in and into a different socket on the floor,
After a few minutes the computer did switch on, but it switches off right after.
I checked inside but there is no signs of internal damage or weird smells.
I clean my PC monthly with an ESD vaccum cleaner, so there is no huge chunks of dust around, only fine dust. The PC was warm, but not intensely hot.

I checked the pins of the PSU and I noticed that they are quite "corroded", most likely due to spark damage. In the past, I had an issue with the PSU where the cable that made contact with the PSU was not stable, and made buzzing noises. the PC would switch off randomly and to a point where the motherboard lights would switch on and then off immediatley.
To fix this I bought a generic kettle power cable from the local PC store, and it seemed to fix this issue, until now.

But now when I connect the power cable to the PSU the motherboard lights are ON, so I believe a measure of power is still going through but not enough to handle the entire PC.

I have a EVGA 600W PSU and my GPU is Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
I have 8gb ram and an i5 @3.9ghz CPU locked version ( cant remember exactly off my head)

I have a few peripherals connected but I am sure that 600W is enough to feed the system, but I don't understand why this is happening?

I always turn the PSU switch off after I turn off the PC, but i searched this on this forum and it seems fine to do so.

I have had this PC for about 2 years only. I built it myself.

Other observations: when the power cable is slightly moved with feet or with vaccum cleaning the PC switches off! Is this normal..?

What I have done now:

I ordered a new PSU (the exact same one) and I will try connecting it to the PC and see how it goes. But please let me know if there is anything else I should know or think?

Thanks

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have a few peripherals connected but I am sure that 600W is enough to feed the system, but I don't understand why this is happening?
This is a common thought, however qualtiy of the PSU and stability of the output is just as important. You only need a voltage to fluctuate 5% and it can cause all manners of problems.

It certainly does sound initially like your PSU could be faulty, especially if it doesn't connect with the kettle cable correctly.

If you have had shut down problems in the past and you can see corrosion, then the PSU should have been replaced long ago.

If it is a generic no model but 80+ rated PSU from EVGA, they are not good quality, so hopefully no damage has been caused to other components, if it has blown, there is every possibility.

Personally I would wait for the new PSU and install to see if there is any luck. What exact make and model PSU have you ordered from EVGA? Do you have a serial number?

Reactions: matonaku

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oddly enough I am commenting on another thread regarding the exact same PSU at the moment:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/3700x-and-2070-super-work-well-with-600w.3506158/
If so, not a good quality unit from EVGA. How long have you had it?
Personally I'd upgrade the GPU to a good quality unit to prevent risk of instability to your other components.
It will probably be fine for the time being, but personally I'd want to upgrade to good quality.

Poor quality PSUs are renowned for causing issues like these, and this is a post i have done previously to explain the "warranty indicator":
Cheap PSUs = Cheap Components = Risk to your rig.
You can tell a lot about the quality of a PSU by it's warranty.

Anything 3 years and less is concerning and I would probably never touch myself.
Anything 5 years and less is decent enough, but sometimes questionable.
Then you'll have some of the best that can be around 7 to 10+ years.

For example most Seasonics come with 10 or 12 years warranty. Because they arguably are the best. And their units are fantastic quality. For example:

• Corsair VS (poor quality) = 3 years
  • EVGA B1 series (E.g. 450B - poor quality) = 3 years
  • Corsair RM (decent quality) = 5 years
  • Seasonic Focus Plus (great quality) = 10 years
  • Corsair AXi (great quality) = 10 years.
- EVGA White = 3 years

Again, wait for the new PSU and see if the issue is resolved and feedback my friend.

matonaku

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017
I will do, however i am now rly scared it may have caused damage to components, as well as the same issue re-occuring later on:( I read reviews of supposedly "good" PSUs that are super expensive and I see reviews with issues anyway.

There was no way of checking whether the PSU or cable was at fault, as I replaced the cable shortly after the problem was happening then the PC was fine. A year or so later this happens.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I will do, however i am now rly scared it may have caused damage to components, as well as the same issue re-occuring later on:( I read reviews of supposedly "good" PSUs that are super expensive and I see reviews with issues anyway.

There was no way of checking whether the PSU or cable was at fault, as I replaced the cable shortly after the problem was happening then the PC was fine. A year or so later this happens.
Don't worry. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. Just wait for the new PSU and retest, if it hasn't blown, it could well be fine, just the PSU has reached the end of it's life.

Depends what good PSUs you were looking at, you will always have issues with any product, but the good PSUs have incredibly better lifespans, warranties, and don't pose a risk to your other components. That and remember people will comment when they have a problem, not when it's perfect. So by that account, every PSU will look the same, but sticking to a good quality brand will never be a bad decision.

I currently run a Seasonic FOCUS Plus, and it has 10 years of warranty!

Reactions: matonaku

matonaku

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017
Don't worry. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. Just wait for the new PSU and retest, if it hasn't blown, it could well be fine, just the PSU has reached the end of it's life.

Depends what good PSUs you were looking at, you will always have issues with any product, but the good PSUs have incredibly better lifespans, warranties, and don't pose a risk to your other components. That and remember people will comment when they have a problem, not when it's perfect. So by that account, every PSU will look the same, but sticking to a good quality brand will never be a bad decision.

I currently run a Seasonic FOCUS Plus, and it has 10 years of warranty!

Thanks for your help.
I have received the repalcement(same exact PSU) and this time, no buzzing noises.
I successfully replaced it, and pushed the cable in hard.
Seems like I will be getting some sleep tonight!
Everything is intact, no damage to the components. PC turned on and restored my google windows and brought stuff back up as if nothing even happened in the first place!

Just wanting to know - is it safer, after shutting PC down, to unplug PSU cable from socket, or switching it off via the switch? I dont want to leave PSU on overnight or when I am not home.

Also, I have ordered a mobo speaker so next time I can get POST beeps ( I hope) and also a surge protected ground power bar! I think these will help. Unfortunately as much as I would love to have one, cannot afford a UPS... XD

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What location are you in?.

It's actually perfectly safe to leave the entire computer left on if you have the appropriate safety mechanism in place.

Makes no difference if you just unplug at the wall (I'm UK so this is all I do) failing tat there is no issue switching off the PSU as no energy can get through if it is.

If you've ordered the white, just remember it's not great quality, so it does still pose a risk if it does go at some point, and their shelf life isn't so great. Just to be wary of that's all.

matonaku

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017
What location are you in?.

It's actually perfectly safe to leave the entire computer left on if you have the appropriate safety mechanism in place.

Makes no difference if you just unplug at the wall (I'm UK so this is all I do) failing tat there is no issue switching off the PSU as no energy can get through if it is.

If you've ordered the white, just remember it's not great quality, so it does still pose a risk if it does go at some point, and their shelf life isn't so great. Just to be wary of that's all.

I understand, but even the good ones can still die at any point, so idk tbh. I am in the UK as well
I just wanted to know if pressing the switch on and off would wear out the connection or something.

I heard no buzz whatsover like I did with the old one, so I assume it was really faulty, and this one seems to be the good one. Hopefully it will hold up - and if it does die, I hope it dies like the other one, instead of blowing up... nervous sweating but yeah I hope this will do?

I still have not received the surge protected power bar. I prefer to switch everything off when I leave.

Another thing is - I literally noticed that the warranty for this PSU expired 2 weeks before this incident. How annoying. So apparently I have had this PC for 3 years, oh my time does go fast.

If this issue happens again , I'll be sure to be paying more than half the price for a better one. But I'll need a recommendation - I know you mentioned Seafonic... Hopefully I wont have to replace again but just in case....

Final question - is it normal that most of the time the PC shuts down quickly but the lights and fans are still running? I have to then shut down by hard pressing the power button.
This usually happens right after I am running a heavy application. The other times it does shut down but just takes a bit of a while?

Thanks for all the the help :)

Last edited: