Computer shutting off then back on immediately after opening a certain video game.

ValuGaming

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Hey everyone viewing and future responders!

As the title says my computer turns off and then immediately back on every time I open up a video game. I've downloaded HWMonitor and checked to see if it was a cooling problem but each time I view the data the temperature is always in the clear. As in, 28 degree C (82F) for my Motherboard which is a MSi B75MA-P45, pretty old. And, 43 degrees C (109F) on my Intel Core i5 3570K processor. I know these temperatures could be lower but my room isn't the coldest room in the world. Next I checked the power supply which is at 700w and I did a few calculations with everything that's connected and I'm only using approximately 400w.

Now the main cause, I THINK, is the graphics card. I'm sporting an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960. A decent graphics card but there reason I see that this card might be causing problems is because I've had my computer shut off and on when I would open World of Warcraft or tab in and out too many times. I have 16 gigs of ram and about 789 gigs of memory left out of my TB harddrive. Though I might also suspect it might be my ram since I was not having such a problem until after I installed new the new ram. (I had 8gigs prior.) But it was never this bad until maybe after I installed new drivers for my video card? I mean I reinstalled WoW and fixed the issue but now 9/5/16 I would go to open Dark Souls 3, try to load into my character then BOOM. My computer crashes and restarts. I know the reasoning for why my computer shuts off. Aka, to protect my computer from any further damage but I need to know why it shuts off in the first place. I even reinstalled Dark Souls 3 and it did the same thing again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm willing to give more information if it helps speed the thought process of how to fix my machine. I can't play my favorite stuff anymore! Thank you.

-VG

Solution
are all your fans spinning properly? try taking out the graphics card and use the integrated graphics in the cpu (the games will be slow, but at least it will tell you if the card is responsible for the restarts or something else)

ValuGaming

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

My PSU is a Thermaltake TR2-700W.

that's enough power, maybe the graphics card overheats, check temperatures with gpu-z, make sure you have good airflow in the case

ValuGaming

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

It's not overheating. I just fully cleaned out my PC. Dusted everything and everything now my computer is dust free. Turn my computer on, works fine and everything is accounted for. Go to play Rocket League and it just shuts off. My computer was on for actually 10 minutes. It was idle as well until I went to play Rocket League.

are all your fans spinning properly? try taking out the graphics card and use the integrated graphics in the cpu (the games will be slow, but at least it will tell you if the card is responsible for the restarts or something else)

Solution

ValuGaming

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

I did what you said and tested it. With my Nvidia GTX 960 graphics card in my computer, I went to play wow and right as I got into the game I crashed. I took out my graphics card and used the integrated one and I was liable to move around (While slow and laggy) And finish a couple of missions and proceed to log out. So the final conclusion would be my graphics card is taking a dump on me? But it's less than two years old why is it doing that? As for the fans, I read on the box that the fans are not supposed to kick in until they're actually "required" to cool down the gpu. So... what do I do now?

if it's under 2 years old it's probly under warranty so just contact the manufacturer - no point in taking in apart and voiding your warranty. yes, i know the fans are supposed to kick in just when needed, but i feared they didn't (for some reason) - can be dust stuck in the fan, connector that came loose. but yes, sounds like the card is at fault.. did you plug back in also the pci ex power connector to the card?

ValuGaming

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

I've done everything except void the warranty so I made contact with EVGA and they're going to replace it for me. Gotta wait two weeks but hey, its free. Thank you for the help!