Question Computer Skipping/Missing a Beat (Intermittent Freezing)

Jan 10, 2019
Issue
My computer seems to be missing a beat every so often. Intermittent freezing which either last for a few seconds or a split second. whether under load or not it does this. No pattern that I've noticed yet. The biggest thing I have noticed so far is that internet works perfectly fine EXCEPT google chrome which seems to have issues getting out to the internet. it most definitaly something on the computer. The only thing I havent really tried at this point was moving back down to true bare bones and just going one driver at a time testing each time. Im thinking the NIC card is having issues I have one on the way to give a try however that doesnt solve the issue at which is the freezing. Information on both and anything is welcome.

Specs
MOBO: Asus B450-F
CPU: Ryzen 1700x
Cooler: DeepCool Captain 240 EX
GPU: Asus Rog Strix 1070TI OC Edition
PSU:EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G
RAM: G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (16x2)
Fans/Cooling:3 Case Fans
Intake:Rear (Single 120mm), Water Cooler<-------(Not quite sure if its kosher to put the AIO as an intake but its what made the most sense for the air flow and the way I had it setup, comments totally welcome)
Exhaust: Top (Double 120mm)

Drivers:
Bios: 1201 (12/28/18)
Chipset: 18.10.1810 (10/26/2018)
Audio: 6.0.1.8339 (06/28/18)
Lan: 12.15.184.0 (06/28/18) ---------> Updated: 23.5.1 (12/14/18)
GPU: Use GeForce Gaming Experience as I've never had issues with them in the past

Applications:
Ryzen Master
GameFirst IV
Asus Ai Suite 3
Ai Charger
Asus Aura
Google Chrome
Firefox
Steam
Battle.net

You need intakes on the front, and set the top/back to all exhausts (it might be ok with the back as intake but it may create deadspots and disrupt front to back bottom to top airflow.

As to the actual issue, it'd be nice to see some temps and load and idle, and utilisation at load and idle.

Jan 10, 2019

I have the front AIO radiator pulling INTO the case and the back pulling it set to a low speed, hen two exhaust fans above on full speed. all of them 120mm. Graphics card has 3 fans facing downwards with most airflow going through the PSU shroud from the GPU. In terms of temps in my eyes they are quite stellar.

4.0 overclock 10 minute stress test max of 60 celsius and stability seems fine no change at all in reactions (issues with skipping was happening since install just about.) at a 3.8 ghz the max temp I got was about 52 and that was after a 30 minute stress test. I backed it down to 3.9 as I will not really utilize 100% which in any case goes up to about 56 celsius max with another 30 minute test.
FYI: Case is Phanteks 400s tempered glass edition

So temps all look great.

Can you arrange to be tracking core speed and utilisation whilst triggering the issue, what I'd like to understand is if we have a short term slow down in hardware speed causing the issue or a choking of the processor as a result of increased demand.

Jan 10, 2019

I have not found a pattern yet thus I do not know what triggers the issue yet. It pretty much just happens whether im using the computer or not. Right now I'm using the Ai Suite 3 from asus to manage my overclocking so I dont have to go back and forth between bios. If you recommend a different monitoring software im down to give it a shot overclocking is not my strong suit. as for the processor choking I dont see how that would happen as even when I go into a power saving mode (this one being configured by software and not me, I did the overclocking profile.) clocking out at 2.2 ghz no improvement. I dont even notice a difference and im just surfing the web etc.

Jan 10, 2019

good point indeed, I was thinking along those lines a few days ago and I ran resource monitor as I was playing a game, while looking through the cPU graph and then the GPU graph, and the DRAM graph, I did not see any spikes I mean im running epic on overwatch not even breaking 30% usage on ANYTHING. Graphics card jumps up every once and a while but that normally when im in a heavy team fight with lots going on. even looked at them much more closely during the stress test and nothing. Nothing dipped or showed that it was bottlenecking (to the untrained eye ofc as my eye is not trained very well)
Im open to new things or redoing something as you know more than I do so what the plan stan

Jan 10, 2019

any updates on what you think may be going on? because I do not have those skipping issues for some reason anymore after I changed the voltage. however now the internet works fine EXCEPT on google chrome. This is just a weird sequence of events with no information to tell me more or give me an idea of whats going on. Any ideas as to where I could get the nitty gritty information for where I could see a skip hop and a jump in any of the MANY moving parts of this system.

Disable all extensions in chrome, if that fails reinstall chrome. The event viewer may show you something.

Are you overclocked? Try removing it? Remote chance it could be a whea error, I had an oc that was stable in everything but bf3. Whea's are the stage before a bsod (kind of) but recoverable.

Jan 10, 2019

I wouldnt say im heavily overclocked but im at about 15% overclock right now I have it around 4.0x ghz overclock temps etc seem fine. even turned that off it doesnt change much. It almost feels better and smoother when overclocked (or its just my head and im playing tricks on myself. there are no extensions really in chrome rn. This is a fresh build and fresh install of google chrome. ill take a look at event viewer. when I looked in the logs there werent any errors that were related to performance. the only error in general that I get on this computer is that I turned off windows defender