Question Computer slow/laggy/glitchy right after new PSU install/GPU driver update

Mar 7, 2019
Hey guys, heres my specs:

Benchmark
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15271036

NEW BENCHMARK AFTER CMOS CLEARED AND BIOS UPDATED
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15273190

Operating System
Windows 10 Education 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz 91 °F

RAM
64.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1499MHz 16-18-18-38

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z270X-Gaming 5 (U3E1) 81 °F

Graphics
16368 MB ATI AMD Radeon VII (ATI) 88 °F

Storage
447GB SATA SSD (SATA (SSD)) 92 °F
74GB Seagate ST3808110AS (SATA ) 83 °F
111GB Corsair Force LS SSD (SATA (SSD)) 87 °F
372GB Western Digital WD 4000BEV External USB Device (USB (SATA) (SSD)) 92 °F

PSU
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 120-G2-1000-XR 80+ Gold

Audio
SteelSeries Arctis 5 Game

There were no issues with my setup, until today, when i replaced the psu. Replaced all the connections, wires, i made sure all connections are secure and tight. my friend started the pc back up, and updated my graphics drivers immediately, as he noticed there was an update. After the graphics drivers were updated, i told him to hop into a game of apex so he could see how well it was now running with the new setup. To my surprise, it was glitchy, slow and occasionally almost "slow-mo". We re-booted, the pc booted slower, auto-start programs booted slower, my mouse would literally glitch around and lag around at my desktop as the computer was starting, which has never happened. We rolled-back the drivers, assuming AMD had messed up badly, and it was still occuring. And still is now. I'm planning on replacing the brand new psu, with my old one, just to clear its name, though im sure it isnt the culprit and this is some awful coincidence. If i clear the PSU as the culprit i plan on doing a full reformat, clean install. My last option before i do those things was to come here and see if anyone had ANY idea as to why my rig is now behaving like this. My pc shouldnt be laggy and glitchy on my desktop. Btw, i have an odd hard-drive setup. 2 SSD's, 1 removable, and 1 older hdd. For some reason even though one of the SSD's has windows on it, the older hdd still needs to be #1 in the boot priority for windows to boot. So i was thinking maybe one of my hard drives is taking a **** or something, idk... i appreciate any and all insight.
Thanks

TLDR: laggy af mouse movements at startup, slooooooow boot, slooooow auto-run programs, apex is ridiculously laggy suddenly(unplayable). weird thing is after boot-up, computer is usable and not laggy for small tasks. when my mouse glitches around and lags, my RGB keyboard lights also lag and slow-down in slow-mo.

P.S. After we installed the psu, he booted it. I wasn't paying attention and he couldnt remember if it seemed as slow as i am reporting to you now, and if it was glitchy or not. I feel like he would have mentioned it if so, but i cannot confirm that it was slow/glitchy/laggy before the gpu driver update, but still after the new psu installation.

EDIT: I remembered i replaced a SATA cable when we were wire-tucking. I put the old one back hoping it was a faulty cable, with no luck.

EDIT: i swapped the old psu back in, still laggy as hell.

Last edited: