Question Computer Slow to Boot

molarmite

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2015
I have a PC I built by myself and it's been working perfectly for years but this weekend I came upon an issue.

On Sunday, it booted up to a black screen with 'edge' written on it which is my motherboard boot screen but it had no loading bar on the bottom and would never boot. I ended up taking out the motherboard battery and putting in back in and it worked. Fast forward today when I tried to boot it and it made it to the same loading screen but had a loading bar on the bottom and took 5+ minutes to reboot.

I tried to start my computer after that and it was stuck on the restarting screen for 10+ minutes before I shut it off manually and restarted. When I restarted, it took 7 minutes to boot up. What is going on?

Internet and everything like that works fine but anything I try to do something offline, it takes forever to respond.

EDIT: The search bar and the searching in explorer is very slow and when I do ctl+alt+del, it takes over a minute to load that.

molarmite

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2015
I would test the drive using chdisk in the command prompt. I think you are having drive failure....

Sometimes when I boot up, it says it's repairing a drive but always give a ridiculous time frame like 411:23:42, not sure if that means 411 hours or 411 days but either way it seems like it's trying to fix something but takes forever. Is that a normal time to repair a drive?

Last edited: