Question Computer slowly losing performance

May 23, 2019
Hey everyone,

I recently got a new monitor, Asus ROG PG279Q which is paired with two other monitors, Asus VG248QE and an old 1600x900 HP monitor I got back in 2009. I've recently had issues with my build slowly losing performance capability about a week and a half after getting this new monitor. I'm playing games at 2k with 150+ FPS on Overwatch as my standard while also watching a youtube video or some HBO on the 1080p monitor. Recently I've gone down to maintaining 145 FPS on Overwatch, then down to 120 FPS on Minecraft FTB when youtube is open, down to 100 with Overwatch and youtube open(the colliding graphics use crashes the game and freezes the pc in Overwatch, but the frame drop occurs in all games), and now I'm down to maintaining a stable 96 FPS in Overwatch with nothing else open. This has all slowly occured across a span of 5 days. Ideas I've tried so far are a scan for malware using Malware Bytes, resetting my PC, cleaning up and opening space on my C: drive, updating Nvidia drivers, and shutting various processes down in Task Manager, all to no success. I'm wondering if anyone here might have some good ideas to try for resolving this, cause I'm starting to run short on my own capabilities for this.

Build
CPU: Intel i7-9700k @ 3.6 GHz
GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070
Mem: 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz
PSU: EVGA Nova Gold 750W
MB: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H

Ralston18

Titan
"opening space on my C: drive":

What capacity is that drive and how full is it?

Go back to two monitors of your choice. Determine if performance recovers.

I suggest removing the new monitor first. Then if performance returns, swap out older 1600x900 HP monitor with the new monitor. Check performance again.

The key is to be methodical and change only one thing at a time to narrow down the reason for the performance drop.

How old is your computer system? Especially the existing PSU?

May 23, 2019
Heading out from work, I can test those ideas when I get home. Regarding the drive, it's a 256GB SSD, there was only 20GB available at the time, cleared it to almost 60GB open. Regarding the build, I got the MB, GPU, and CPU this year, the RAM, PSU and SSD are from when I first built in 2015

May 23, 2019
Bumped it down to just the 1080p monitor and it's still stuck at 96 fps

Edit: New info, powered off my PC, and then it powers on, turns off, and then on and boots normally from there

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS