Specs:

Intel i5-2500K
Asus P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD and Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
OCZ-ZS650W 650W PSU
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4x4GB) 240 Pin DDR3 1600
Windows 10 Home 64bit

Hey there, lately i've been having trouble with my computer after attempting to upgrade my CPU in it. I am running an i5-2500K in an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro motherboard. I bought an i7-3770K and installed it in the motherboard, but when I tried to boot my computer after putting it in, nothing would display on the screen and the monitor had that blinking light on it indicating no signal. The lights on the computer all went on, and the fans and everything were spinning up despite this, and it eventually restarted itself and then went back to lights on and fan spinning, but still no signal. It did not reboot itself again after this and I decided to force it to power down after 5 minutes. I tried booting it several times and it did the same thing each time. No beep codes when I tried this

I looked up my motherboards compatible processors list once more to be sure, and sure enough the i7-3770K was on there, though it displayed that it needed an updated BIOS. I went to make sure my motherboards BIOS was up to date, and it was, displaying it was at version 3603. I also tried removing the CMOS battery for a while as I found that suggestion while looking for answers. That didn't seem to do anything. I then made sure my power supply was good enough, and it seemed to be more than enough for the job, it's 650W and I haven't come close to maxing it out.

Now I then put my old i5-2500K back inside and it booted up just fine, so i'm not sure what the problem was, if it was a defective CPU or what. I sent the CPU back to the seller hoping it was just defective, and took this opportunity to clean out and reassemble my computer.

After this however my computer now sometimes has the same problem with my i5-2500K. The difference being that my computer does boot up properly once I forcibly power it off when it's hanging. Another difference is that it once showed the opening BIOS screen thing where it told me to press DEL to enter setup, but then went black. This time however the monitor showed as receiving a signal.

So now and then my computer will just not boot properly and hang indefinitely, and I have no idea if it was something I did while reassembling it, if it was something putting in the i7-3770K did, or if it was something else entirely.

One thing I thought might be an issue though, is that my power supply has a dent in it, around the socket. I fiddled with it trying to get a closer look while reassembling and may have made it worse. IF it is something wrong with the power supply though I can't imagine why my computer isnt just turning itself off intermittently or when I jiggle the cord. When it properly boots it doesn't seem to show any other problems. Also, when removing the CMOS battery I worry I might have damaged it or the socket it goes into, but I have no idea if that is the case or if it would do anything to the boot up.

So what I would like help with is finding out why my computer is doing this, and also finding out why it wouldn't work with a chip it clearly stated it was compatible with. I asked the seller to test the chip on their end to confirm if it was defective or something is wrong on my end, but I am leaning towards it being something wrong on my end with my recent i5-2500K problems. Help would be much appreciated as this issue is driving me nuts!

Last edited:

compprob237

Distinguished
This may sound strange but re-flash the BIOS with the latest version. I had some really strange behavior with my old motherboard a while back and re-flashing the BIOS solved it. Make sure to download the one that is on Asus' website:
Once downloaded, right click the file, properties, on the general tab check "Unblock", click OK, and then extract the BIOS file to a USB drive.
Before flashing the BIOS make sure to load BIOS defaults.
Flash the BIOS and then after it starts up with the reflash load defaults again.
You're just trying to make sure there's no corruption (it happens) in the BIOS flash or config.

stalgren

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
I will make sure to try doing that when the replacement arrives in the mail. For loading BIOS defaults, there should be something pretty plainly labelled in the BIOS menu for that, right?

Do you think that might help with the current chips issues as well?

stalgren

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
On the driver web page it says only for Win7 and Win8, does that mean this wont work at all with Win10?

Gonna try an older bios version that doesn't have that on it

stalgren

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
I think reflashing to an older version may have helped, I will keep an eye on it and see if it works with the new processor once it arrives. One new issue that it introduced is that my keyboards num lock light will stay lit during boot up and the Windows Key disable lock will blink on my K55 keyboard, and sometimes it won't take my delete key when I want to go into the BIOS settings and just pass it by and boot normally.

compprob237

Distinguished
I think reflashing to an older version may have helped, I will keep an eye on it and see if it works with the new processor once it arrives. One new issue that it introduced is that my keyboards num lock light will stay lit during boot up and the Windows Key disable lock will blink on my K55 keyboard, and sometimes it won't take my delete key when I want to go into the BIOS settings and just pass it by and boot normally.
You should have reflashed with the most recent BIOS not an older one. There may have been a fix for the keyboard detection. My only suggestion is to try a different USB port. I prefer to use the ones left of the red USB ports (the stack of 4 black) to plug the keyboard in. If that still doesn't work you may have to get a "plain Jane" keyboard or see if maybe other's have had that problem with your keyboard.

The driver page stopping at Windows 8 isn't surprising. Asus tends to not update their motherboards or drivers after only a year or so. Especially with the shift in driver design with Windows 8.1/10.

Loading BIOS defaults should be on the very same page for exiting and saving. "Load Optimized Defaults" or "Load BIOS Defaults". I don't know which without digging into the motherboard manual.

stalgren

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
Does that mean they are not compatible with Windows 10 then? If not then I am assuming the Win 7 and 8 version of 3603 is the one I should flash yes? I will give that a try. I found the defaults button right on the main screen too so that was easy.

The keyboard detection isn't too big of a hassle since it still works half of the time, and it works normally once everything is booted up. If everything goes back to normal after reflashing the BIOS, then what could have caused the corruption? Could it have been swapping CPUs? Or could it have been removing the CMOS battery or potentially damaging the socket the CMOS battery goes in?

stalgren

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
While changing the 3402 BIOS settings back to default, the restart and hang problem came back, so it looks like that didn't help after all. And after reflashing it to 3603, the problem persisted as well. It looks like this may not be due to the BIOS being corrupted.

Edit: Something new happened when I tried to reboot it this time, this screen appeared

SUKZiKx.jpg

II was in fact set to ASUS's turbo overclocking profile, as I switch between that and default occasionally, but it never had a problem with it before for the 4 or so years i've used it. Symptoms only appeared after swapping CPU's and reassembling my PC. After entering setup and setting it again it started up fine and dandy. The inconsistency of the problem is really frustrating, and then setting it back to default it had the same problem again, it seems like changing the BIOS settings seems to reproduce the problem

Last edited:

stalgren

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
So after getting the replacement i7-3770k and installing it, my computer restarted itself three times before finally booting and recognizing the new chip! So at least that problem is solved now.

The indefinite hanging problem is still there though sadly, and my new PSU is making a click noise when when powering on now, and I don't know if it's supposed to