Question Computer sometimes not booting up after power off ?

Sep 26, 2021
Hi, So I have been having this problem for a while now. When I start the computer up, it starts up normally. The problem only occurs when the PC turns off and I try to get it to start again. Sometimes it will start up and just not boot. You can hear the PC running but usual PC start up will not show. I had recently added a new GPU into the system (I checked beforehand if I could support it) and that's when the problems began. I then changed the PSU and got an SSD. It became less frequent since then, however it still occurs.

When it goes into Hibernation, the PC will not wake up until I hard reset it. I really have no idea what is causing it. I have no other problems, no power problems, no cpu problems, nothing. The only problem I had was the audio jacks in the back not working, but I use a adapter now which works better. I'm not even sure about how I fix the problem. I turn the PC off via the back power switch, pull the hdmi cable out and then place it back in, sometimes switching it off in the socket. Has anyone had the same problem and/or can help?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model PSU? Wattage, age, condition (new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any errors that might be being captured during shutdowns, starts/restarts.

Do not use the back power switch to turn off the computer. Very last resort.

Use the Windows power icon to turn off the computer. That allows Windows to do some cleaning and otherwise get ready for the next start up.

Using the PSU switch is effectively the same as a power outage which can and often leads to corrupted files and data loss.

At the next successful boot run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

DISM Overview | Microsoft Docs

Hopefully the problem is just some corrupted files.

However, if the problems continue there are still other things you can do. One step at a time....

Sep 26, 2021
Motherboard: B450-HDV R4.0
Processor: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Nvida GTX 1660ti 4gb
PSU: Corsair RM650x 650 Watt Fully Modular
Disk Drive: Crucial MX500 1TB SSD (270/930 GB free)

Everything but the motherboard (According to the website) is new. The motherboard itself is only 1.5 years old and was a new purchase. As for using the back power to turn it off, that's the only way I can turn it off when It's in that phase. The screen is black and the computer is unresponsive to the power button. Also, nothing has been overclocked, the power settings are at balanced. I run nothing that can stress the components.

Last edited: