Computer sometimes won't boot / wake up from sleep

Neon_Knight_

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
After I power-off my computer or send it to sleep, sometimes it is unable to power back on.

If in 'sleep', the 'GIGABYTE' LED on my graphics card is lit up, but I can't boot up. If I turn off the mains power at the wall, then immediately back on, I can sometimes then boot as normal (it even sometimes resumes from sleep, rather than rebooting).

If powered off, it simply won't power back up. Sometimes it gets stuck like this after I turn the mains off whilst it's stuck in sleep mode. This can resolve itself in half an hour or so, but sometimes I have to wait hours until I can use my computer again. It occurs most frequently when the computer has been power up for a fair few hours, then shutdown / put to sleep.

At first, I thought it might be an issue with the case's power switch or the PSU, but then I noticed that every time I press the power switch, a tiny blue LED flashes next to the CMOS. This LED flashes repeatedly for about 20 seconds, then stops (until I press the power button again).

I have checked all of the connections etc, but haven't gone as far as reseating the CPU.

Other than this very frustrating issue, my PC appears to be functioning very smoothly. The motherboard displays as running at 27-28 degrees celcius during standard use (obviously a bit higher during intensive gaming), so I find it hard to believe that it could be overheating.

Any suggestions welcomed, thanks!

My build:
Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz
PSU: Antec 750W True Power 80+ Gold
RAM: G.Skill 8GB DDR3 (1600, 8-8-8-24, 1.5v)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
HDD: Seagate 2TB Barracuda 3.5" 7200RPM 64MB Cache
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

I had something similar happen to me last year. I would turn off my PC with the power button and then it wouldn't turn back on until I turned off the PSU, turned it back on and then pressed the power button on my PC.
Slometimes I would have to wait 10-20 minutes for it to turn back on.
The problem turned out to be the PSU...it was only 15 months old. It was a SilverStone Strider Gold-S 750W PSU.

What does the Debug LED (numeric) display indicate (on the motherboard)?

Neon_Knight_

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014

Turning off the PSU or mains power doesn't make a difference. I've also tried holding the power button down for 30 seconds (or significantly longer), then powering up, as this works for some people with similar issues.

Turning off the mains didn't always help me either. It just kept getting longer and longer to boot up until finally it wouldn't. I replaced it with a spare PSU I had (I always have a spare) and it worked no problem.

Neon_Knight_

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014

The motherboard's debug display is blank, presumably because it has no power.

Next to the tiny blue LED that flahses, by the CMOS, it says "JBAT1" and "BAT1".

Buy a spare PSU (one that you will have around just for instances like this) and try it. Something like a 500 watt not too expensive unit.
If it doesn't solve the problem, you can take it back.
Just a tip...ALL makes of PSU's can fail, not just the cheap ones.

TRENDING THREADS