jam wan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012
If I plug in an old, crappy membrane keyboard, everything works perfect.

If I plug in any of 3 brand new mechanical keyboards, I get ghosting on movement keys (can't press W + Space, W + A, W + D consistently, etc.)

If I plug these same keyboards into a different computer, they work fine.

I'm left with the verdict that my computer has issues with certain keyboards, maybe even mechanical keyboards.

Any thoughts?

Solution
I'm on my 3rd mech keyboard, after having tried a couple that didn't work out which were returned to Amazon. I've not had such problems with any of them though, nor have I ever heard of such problems.

So it's a bit of a head scratcher for me, but I can tell you along the journey of deciding what mech to buy, I read that some of them don't work well with other brand hardware, mainly due to things like their included software. Even Corsair as big as they are, has many problems still with their iCUE software causing such issues.

I happen to not be affected much by such 3rd party software because the main culprit is usually specifically the RGB lighting code they use in it, and RGB has never interested me. I only care about it's physical...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

What make and model keyboards? Source?

Did you manually download, install, and configure the keyboard drivers?

Windows 10?

Try running the built-in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

You can also try "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

jam wan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

What make and model keyboards? Source?

Did you manually download, install, and configure the keyboard drivers?

Windows 10?

Try running the built-in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

You can also try "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161
Thanks for the response!

Windows 10 Home, x64-based PC
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE Motherboard

Keyboards tested on this computer:
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
Durgod Taurus K320 TKL (both the Cherry Silent Red and Cherry Silver)

I don't see any drivers to install. Currently have the HyperX and there's nothing on their site. Seems just plug and play as far as I can see.

Ran the scan and fixed stuff, but keyboard problem persists.

Tried different USB outlets to see if that might be a problem but nah.

I'm so confused why an old UtechSmart Saturn 7 Colors Backlit USB Multimedia Gaming Keyboard works fine, this 35 dollar old membrane, yet these fancy 100+ dollar mechanical keyboards don't, and I don't see anyone relating to this problem online.

jam wan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012
Thank you for the good ideas but unfortunately no success.

I want to think this is 100% my computer's fault, but the old membrane keyboard works fine. Then I want to think it's the keyboards' fault, but the keyboards work fine on another computer.

Maybe I should return this keyboard and order a different one that might possibly be compatible with my computer. Just weird how no one buying these keyboards complains about this.

Ralston18

Titan
Very much depends on far you wish to pursue the issues.

https://www.hyperxgaming.com/unitedstates/en/support

I suggest that you email technical support and explain the problems. At least there will be documentation regarding an RMA,

Hopefully you might receive a response from HyperX that will address the problems.

Also - I am going to move this thread over to PC Gaming. Could be that someone there may offer other ideas and suggestions.

I'm on my 3rd mech keyboard, after having tried a couple that didn't work out which were returned to Amazon. I've not had such problems with any of them though, nor have I ever heard of such problems.

So it's a bit of a head scratcher for me, but I can tell you along the journey of deciding what mech to buy, I read that some of them don't work well with other brand hardware, mainly due to things like their included software. Even Corsair as big as they are, has many problems still with their iCUE software causing such issues.

I happen to not be affected much by such 3rd party software because the main culprit is usually specifically the RGB lighting code they use in it, and RGB has never interested me. I only care about it's physical performance and am OK with just one solid backlighting color.

So the thing to do to test for what might be causing such problems is actually to NOT install the included software. If it installs automatically, see if you can remove it in Control Panel> Programs and Features. This of course won't give you all it's features, but it very well may tell you what's causing the problem. A TON of people new to mechs go through many brands/models before they find one that's right, so buying from a place like Amazon that will allow full refunds within a month makes sense.

This doesn't mean ALL such 3rd party software has such issues, it's actually more common in the big brands that go to the extent of making such software sync with all other components/peripherals they make that support it, such as iCUE. This could be why your cheapo membrane board didn't have such issues. It really depends how sophisticated that 3rd party software is, but after having read many reviews on brands that do the syncing thing to other products in their line, and having talked extensively to Corsair about it, I would say avoid the syncing type software like the plague, because as far as I know, it commonly causes problems, and the manufacturers either aren't sure how to fix it, or don't care to in hopes that customers buy more of their product to sync with it. To me, it's an unnecessary risk to take.

Last edited:
Solution