Computer Specs for Recording Directly from two Video Cameras

Jun 21, 2018
The church I attend wants a new computer that will be powerful enough for video editing but also, to be able to have video footage from two cameras, recording at the same time, save directly onto the computer. I pretty much know what kind of computer would be needed to edit video but I'm wondering what specs I might need to handle taking in those two inputs at once - that is, if it would have to be more powerful than one just meant for editing. I assume that just recording directly to the computer wouldn't really have that much of a performance impact but editing live would?

The budget we have for the computer will kind of be like this: lower limit: as little money spent as possible; upper limit: $5000. I was thinking of a parts list that includes:
--A Ryzen 7 2700X
--16GB of RAM
--A 1050Ti (or a last-gen card - basically, I don't see a reason to go above a 1050Ti)

Also, any advice on how to handle capturing the inputs/what software could be used would be appreciated. Being able to live edit is not a necessity, and they may not let us do that anyway, but I'd like the option. From what I read, the easiest way might be using 1 (or 2) (Elgato) capture cards. I looked it up, and it appears that you can use two Cam Links at once, depending on the computer. I'm not sure what video camera we have now but I know it's the type that would be used by news crews and I can find out soon and post the name.

kanewolf

Titan
Your camera question will depend on what the cameras output. The easiest thing would be to have IP based network cameras and capture network data. I think you need to research your cameras more and come back with a better set of requirements.

Jun 21, 2018

OK, the camera we have is from SONY, it's a handycam HDR-AX2000 from 2009, apparently. I also found out that we have an Intensity Pro editing card from Blackmagic kicking around somewhere (even the guy in charge of all this didn't know we did so I have no idea where it came from) but if we can find it (I only found the box...) and buy another one I read that should work for recording multiple cameras. The two cameras would then use HDMI to input into the computer.

I will also mention the idea about the IP based network camera and look into that a bit further (I have looked into it a little bit but mostly have been researching what we already have).

So, researching the camera more, I think, has answered my second question. So, the only thing I'm still wondering is: a computer with the parts I mentioned should be powerful enough I think? It would only be capturing 1080p video so I imagine that it would be.

I'm just a little worried because I can't really find any minimum specs for this, save for the ones in the camera's manual but those are so outdated that they don't really help, the ones for the editing card on Newegg, which really only say you need RAM and a CPU, and the ones for certain editing softwares that seem incomplete or outdated. The one for final cut on the Mac support page doesn't seem to mention the processor you need, for example.

I know a fair bit about computers and building them and whatnot but video capturing, not so much so I'm just trying to make sure I don't recommend certain parts that turn out not to be good enough so I'm trying to do due diligence by making sure.