Question Computer started refusing to power on and will then randomly work ?

Sep 4, 2022
Hi guys,

I built a new PC about 9 months ago and it has been working perfectly until a month ago.

The issue with the PC is that when I attempt to power the PC on the EzDebug leds will light up and move through their sequence then when they arrive at the VGA LED will stay lit for a second and then hard shut the PC.

At face value this means it is experiencing a GPU fault but the LEDs will continue to do this behavior even when i have no gpu plugged into the PCIE slot.

What is even more strange is that after sitting here and attempting to power on 10 to 15 times the PC will actually work and wont hard shut, it'll boot into my OS and i can use the computer no issue.

I have also noticed that even if i can get the computer working consistently during the day, that is to say that i can get it powering on consistently without any issues, the next morning when i attempt to power on the issue returns again.

Personally i'm leaning toward either a PSU or a motherboard issue, i'm waiting for one of my mates to come back from a work trip so i can throw his psu into my pc and see if the issue persists as this would either confirm or rule out the psu as the issue. I wanted to see what you guys think too so i can get a better grasp of what might be a known issue, maybe someone on here knows something.

SPECS -
Silverstone Strider Platinum 1000W PSU
MSI B550 Tomahawk Motherboard
AMD R7 5800X
Powercolor Red Devil 6900XT
TForce 32GB RAM
openSUSE Tumbleweed

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Silverstone 1000W PSU
Silverstone is the brand, while 1000W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit? How old is the PSU?

MSI B550 Tomahawk Motherboard
BIOS version for your motherboard?

Sep 4, 2022
Yea sorry about that, my PSU is a Silverstone strider platinum 1000W. As for bios version my PC tells me it is running version A.50 which was released on the 15 Jan 2021.

TRENDING THREADS