Computer started smelling and touch with screw gave sparks

dtodorovic40

Commendable
Jul 3, 2018
Well i putted new fans into my pc,and when i tried to start it,i smell something like burned or new plastic and computer booted up perfectly fine,i touched the case with screew for case and it gave sparkls so i instantly turned it off.What it could be?!
I smelled all components and nothing smells like plastic and im scared of that spark

WHat exactly does "I touched the case with screw for case and it gave sparks"...mean?

Tocuhing the outside of the case, you see sparks? I'd say your case is a floating ground, and your PSU is being fed by a 2 prong receptacle. or, a 3 prong with no ground....

If your fan relies on a chassis ground, and it is not present..who knows...

Or perhaps you connected a 3 prong fan to a 4 prong header, and got something reversed, electrifying the outside of your chassis? (which has no return, running on a 2 prong AC input?)

dtodorovic40

Commendable
Jul 3, 2018
mdd1963,you know those toolfree plastic screws.Well i touched the outside of the case with it,and it sparkled,it gave a bit electricity beetwen them.All the fans are connected with molex except 2 of them witch are 3 pin connectors that i didnt even touch.I had to unscrew some cable touching the case with screw,but i turned it back so i dont think that is the problem.Should i be worried?

dtodorovic40

Commendable
Jul 3, 2018

Also computer booted normally and it didnt show any signs of damage.Graphic card didnt smell,neither did mobo or cpu heatsink

Are you saying a fan wire was trapped underneath or case lid or screw and was damaged?

If your case is hot, that is a problem....; get/borrow voltmeter, set alternately to VDC (polarity wont matter), one side in ground (lower center) prong of 115V AC 3 prong outlet, the other lead touching bare metal of lid or case (need bare metal or screw, not thru black paint...)

Is your PSU run off a valid 3 prong input, where the PSU (and indirectly the MB and case) have an actual ground?

dtodorovic40

Commendable
Jul 3, 2018

No my PC case is not hot,neither were any components.Im not sure but i have one ground cable that screwed in on the top of the case.My PSU is ran from a valid 3 prong input.I dont know if my motherboard has ground somewhere nor do i know how to check that

sparking on the case means it is hot...

Perhaps you have a mainboard mounting stud where it should not be, or a pinched wire trapped in between the lids, or fan wire chaffing. trapped where it should not be, including brishing up against a turning fan...

Is your AC input to PSU a 2 pin prong or 3?

dtodorovic40

Commendable
Jul 3, 2018

it is 3