Question Computer starting on login, possibly cpu

Jul 16, 2020
For the past week and a half I've been fighting with my new set up trying to get it to work, which it did for the first few hours. But suddenly it reset like a power flicker, since then anytine I get past the bios (which it can stay in bios for however long without resets) and get to the login it'll either reset before login or right when I get past login.

I've brought back and replaced literally everything, even the case just to cover all my bases, execpt the cpu, cpu fan, and gpu. I'm still ending up with the same results sadly, brought it to some people to get it diagnosed and even they don't know after holding it a few days.

Cpu: ryzen 7 3800x
Gpu: 2070 super gtx
Motherboard:rog strix x570f (new and replaced)
Psu: RM750x corsair (new and replaced)
Ram:16 gb ddr4 crucial ballistic memory (new and replaced)

Any help would be appriciated and I'll answer whatever I can, I've done a million things under the sun, but any help is good help, I'm at my wits end.

Also, on login it can sit for a bit but the moment I hit the windows key it's instantly restarts as well. And I have tried fresh installs of windows multiple times

For the past week and a half I've been fighting with my new set up trying to get it to work, which it did for the first few hours. But suddenly it reset like a power flicker, since then anytine I get past the bios (which it can stay in bios for however long without resets) and get to the login it'll either reset before login or right when I get past login.

I've brought back and replaced literally everything, even the case just to cover all my bases, execpt the cpu, cpu fan, and gpu. I'm still ending up with the same results sadly, brought it to some people to get it diagnosed and even they don't know after holding it a few days.

Cpu: ryzen 7 3800x
Gpu: 2070 super gtx
Motherboard:rog strix x570f (new and replaced)
Psu: RM750x corsair (new and replaced)
Ram:16 gb ddr4 crucial ballistic memory (new and replaced)

Any help would be appriciated and I'll answer whatever I can, I've done a million things under the sun, but any help is good help, I'm at my wits end.

Also, on login it can sit for a bit but the moment I hit the windows key it's instantly restarts as well. And I have tried fresh installs of windows multiple times
You said you replaced the motherboard, but is it the same model or a different x570 model or different chipset? Have you replaced the OS disk? Have you reinstalled Windows yet?

You can try running a live Linux environment to see if you get the same type system behavior, assuming you have a way to get it on to a USB drive.

Jul 16, 2020
You said you replaced the motherboard, but is it the same model or a different x570 model or different chipset? Have you replaced the OS disk? Have you reinstalled Windows yet?

You can try running a live Linux environment to see if you get the same type system behavior, assuming you have a way to get it on to a USB drive.
I changed models actually when I replaced it, went from rog 550 to 570, I've reinstalled windows many times as well.

As for Linux, I've never messed with it and I don't have a good way to run it at this moment.

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I can get into Bios and sit there all day, never run into and issue with bios.

And it's does recognize that the ram is showing and seated properly.
Okay so installing windows doesn't solve the issue?

Have you changed anything in bios? All out of the box settings? Clearing CMOS?

You can also not connect to the internet during windows installation which you should do. Disable all spyware and don't sync devices unless you do that. Once on desktop then connect and install all windows updates. Do not touch applications till updates complete. Make sure the drive is backed up on another and/or wiped before installing windows again.
I'm sure you know this just saying for sure.

Also once installed again try using "never require sign in" to get to desktop.

I mean I understand it's a hassle to reinstall windows so many times. Usually though it fixes most issues.
Since memory is not the issue. Any indication on motherboard of any hardware issue making it shut down?

Jul 16, 2020
Okay so installing windows doesn't solve the issue?

Have you changed anything in bios? All out of the box settings? Clearing CMOS?

You can also not connect to the internet during windows installation which you should do. Disable all spyware and don't sync devices unless you do that. Once on desktop then connect and install all windows updates. Do not touch applications till updates complete. Make sure the drive is backed up on another and/or wiped before installing windows again.
I'm sure you know this just saying for sure.

Also once installed again try using "never require sign in" to get to desktop.

I mean I understand it's a hassle to reinstall windows so many times. Usually though it fixes most issues.
Since memory is not the issue.
At this point almost nothing is a hassle, though we did basically already do that at one point, like I said I've also talked to many people about it and showed them, we ran through bios with base settings and everyother setting we could think of, down to fan controls. But it always come back with the same thing, a straight reset the moment I even try anything. (also sorry if I sound douche at any point, I've been a tad bit frustrated with all this)

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
At this point almost nothing is a hassle, though we did basically already do that at one point, like I said I've also talked to many people about it and showed them, we ran through bios with base settings and everyother setting we could think of, down to fan controls. But it always come back with the same thing, a straight reset the moment I even try anything. (also sorry if I sound douche at any point, I've been a tad bit frustrated with all this)
Oh no don't worry about it. I would be as well. However I don't think it's the CPU like in the title. It's very very rare but does happen I never had it happen to me but an age old friend had it happen. I straight reset with touching anything though is hard to say what it could be. If you can replace the cpu that'd be the next step I would do.

Also have you updated the bios to the newest version available?

Jul 16, 2020
Oh no don't worry about it. I would be as well. However I don't think it's the CPU like in the title. It's very very rare but does happen I never had it happen to me but an age old friend had it happen. I straight reset with touching anything though is hard to say what it could be. If you can replace the cpu that'd be the next step I would do.

Also have you updated the bios to the newest version available?
I haven't, I don't have a way to download and put on a flash since I can't even open anything

Thought that might have been a problem at one instance to so tried a friend's windows and it still did it
At this point there are three parts that could be at fault and one other possible issue with power.

1. The SSD/HDD may be faulty or the SATA data or power cable may be faulty if you are not using an M.2 drive. I'm not exactly sure if you said you replaced the OS disk from my previous questions.

2. The GPU may be faulty and causing some kind of weird power draw issue when entering Windows.

3. The CPU may be faulty with a similar power draw issue like the GPU or maybe a memory controller fault.

4. If you haven't changed where you are plugging in the PSU power cable, it could be a bad power strip or wall socket or even a bad power cable.

Jul 16, 2020
At this point there are three parts that could be at fault and one other possible issue with power.

1. The SSD/HDD may be faulty or the SATA data or power cable may be faulty if you are not using an M.2 drive. I'm not exactly sure if you said you replaced the OS disk from my previous questions.

2. The GPU may be faulty and causing some kind of weird power draw issue when entering Windows.

3. The CPU may be faulty with a similar power draw issue like the GPU or maybe a memory controller fault.

4. If you haven't changed where you are plugging in the PSU power cable, it could be a bad power strip or wall socket or even a bad power cable.
The gpu I think to be fine, I put my old 1060 in and it had the same issues.

I did buy a new m.2 drive for the pc as well midway through, just incase that kind of problem was happening, new cables to go with it

Psu wise I have it to someone with a shop and same thing happened there as well

Jul 16, 2020
Sounds like a good plan.
As for the windows if you are using the newest "media creation tool" it doesn't matter which usb you use. Still will have the same updates and version of windows.
So got a new version of windows and did it with the m.2, it actually crashes the moment I see a windows load now, so the m.2 made it faster which even I have to admit is kinda funny

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
So got a new version of windows and did it with the m.2, it actually crashes the moment I see a windows load now, so the m.2 made it faster which even I have to admit is kinda funny
NVMe are always faster but not in that way!
You need to PSU check if it's not that maybe CPU. I can't really say what happening here. Difficult one. Sorry.

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Nono thank you for trying Im guessing cpu just bc I've already replaced the pcu and it's did the exact same thing
Oh you did?
Man bad luck like I said does happen but extremely rare. Yeah maybe you can grab and XT instead. Haha. Good luck and hope everything turns out good and get back to having fun with the PC.

Last edited: